Question

Tutor
Lovekraft
Message 1 of 5 (2,448 Views)

[Tip] HP Recovery USB Drive

[ Edited ]

In searching the forums for advice on making a recovery disc with a USB drive (now possible via HP's USB Recovery Utility), I wanted to share a tip for ensuring the recovery flash drive is easily located.

HP makes name-brand USB drives with their logo on them, and perhaps if one uses an HP-branded drive to make the recovery disc it'll be easier to immediately recognize as not just an everyday USB drive. They are just regular flash drives but I find associating the logo with the computer is a good way to ensure it doesn't get accidentally erased!

Staples is having a 60% off sale for a few weeks on HP logo flash drives. My advice: get the labeled one (in 16GB -- minimum for Windows 7 recovery), and make sure you write RECOVERY on it and store in a safe place. I'm going out to buy one right now. :smileyhappy:

http://www.staples.com/HP-v310w-16GB-Write-Label-USB-Flash-Drive-Purple/product-nr_320594

Or you could get this one in black (no label), which looks more "professional" if, say, you're in a business environment (or just have sloppy handwriting -- which is often the case in medical environments). :smileywink:

http://www.staples.com/HP-v255w-16GB-USB-Flash-Drive/product-nr_320591

The 32GB drive might be overkill but it doesn't hurt to have extra space if needed -- again, 16GB is the minimum space for a USB recovery.

http://www.staples.com/HP-v255w-32GB-USB-Flash-Drive/product_356384

As a recommendation to HP, I think they should start offering USB recovery drives for purchase as an option for the Ultra Mobile PCs and netbooks (and/or just in general), on these kind of HP USB drives. Ex: I have a regular Pavilion laptop that needed a system recovery, but the CD/DVD drive had stopped working, and a USB recovery would've been ideal for such a scenario. Because the DVD drive wasn't working, we ended up having to ship the unit back to the factory (it's a used PC and someone had also deleted the recovery partition without supplying the discs -- if they had, indeed, made them).

Norton AV offers a "Netbook Edition" with the installer supplied on a branded USB drive rather than a disc. Microsoft has begun selling only product keys for its Office software with a link to download the installation media. As the era of spinning platters shifts to cloud computing, SSDs, tablet PCs, and portable media, I think HP would do well to offer support solutions in compact varieties to suit their emerging Ultra Mobile markets. For now, just this little tip for the average consumers who maybe don't have a plug-in DVD drive with their PC, or even if so, want to take advantage of all options available to make recovery backups. I also think that HP's recovery software should allow more than one opportunity to make the recovery media -- once on USB and then on disc (and/or a network/LAN installation for system administrators). In any event, especially recovery situations, you can never have too (or three!) many backups!

(I don't work for Staples or HP. I'm not even an IT employee or computer/engineering student, but just another "average consumer" offering a tip to folks like me.) :smileyvery-happy:

---

Edit 1: The Staples sale is for up to 60% off on HP USB drives (and only certain ones; see below). :smileytongue:

Edit 2: The 32GB drive might not be overkill as I thought it would. HP's documentation online says that a 16GB drive is usually "sufficient" for recovery, but I've just found that it's actually not enough. :smileyindifferent: Just ran the Recovery Media Creation app and the total size of the image is roughly 20GB, so I had to cancel out.

I guess it depends on the OS; mine is Windows 7 x64 Professional (Pavilion dv7 laptop), which I'd assume is more space-hungry than other flavors like Starter and Home, and 64-bit more so than 32-bit. Unfortunately, the 32GB drive is not one of the ones on sale, and it's $89.99 as of this writing. :smileysad:

(I may just keep one of them for the Windows 7 Repair Disc I'm planning to make.)

Pavilion dm1z-2100: 5 GB RAM; 500 GB HD
Audio: IDT HD Audio
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4315; Wired: Atheros AR8121
Graphics: AMD / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Storage: AMD 780G Chipset; AMD SB700 Southbridge
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 5 (2,439 Views)

Re: [Tip] HP Recovery USB Drive

Thanks for the tip, here is another.

You can label any USB drive yourself, and also add your own custom icon

On the root of the USB drive you need 2 files  

1. autorun,inf  (you can make a auorun.text file and change the extension to inf

2. Your .ico image file

in the autorun.inf file it will look similar to this inside.

[Autorun]

Icon=Corsair.ico

Label= If Found Call xxx.xxx.xxxx

The Icon data must match the full name of the .ico file including extension.

Label data can say anything you want, shorter is better.

If done properly it will show the custom icon and the Label text in windows explorer (unless autorun is disabled)

I use this site to convert my images to .ico format

http://converticon.com/

Tutor
Lovekraft
Message 3 of 5 (2,432 Views)

Mumbodog wrote:

Thanks for the tip, here is another.

You can label any USB drive yourself, and also add your own custom icon

On the root of the USB drive you need 2 files  

1. autorun,inf  (you can make a auorun.text file and change the extension to inf

2. Your .ico image file

in the autorun.inf file it will look similar to this inside.

[Autorun]

Icon=Corsair.ico

Label= If Found Call xxx.xxx.xxxx

The Icon data must match the full name of the .ico file including extension.

Label data can say anything you want, shorter is better.

If done properly it will show the custom icon and the Label text in windows explorer (unless autorun is disabled)

I use this site to convert my images to .ico format

http://converticon.com/

Hi Mumbodog,
Good idea about the drive name and Autorun/icon config. It might be worth mentioning, though, that a lot of AV programs automatically flag autorun files as viruses (ever since the Conficker problem first appeared), although in this case it's probably a false positive. What I was referring to about the HP labels is that the physical media actually has the HP logo imprinted upon it. I just bought a 16GB at Staples this afternoon (for the HP recovery) and an 8GB (to make a Windows 7 Repair Disc).
With regards to the autorun/icon setup, though, it might be worthwhile to extract the same icon used by the Recovery program or something else from HP. For that I use IcoFX (http://www.icofx.ro/) or the vintage app Resource Hacker (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/). Alternatively you could, of course, use any icon of your choosing; also, good tip about including the phone number (although you can't be too careful in this day and age)! :smileywink:
Pavilion dm1z-2100: 5 GB RAM; 500 GB HD
Audio: IDT HD Audio
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4315; Wired: Atheros AR8121
Graphics: AMD / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Storage: AMD 780G Chipset; AMD SB700 Southbridge
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 5 (2,427 Views)

Have not run into the AV problem yet.

Yeah, I use different icons for all my removable drives, makes it easier for me to spot it quick,

Thanks for the extra tips, 

Student
conch2011
Message 5 of 5 (2,044 Views)

TO ANYONE READING THIS FORUM:

DO NOT purchase hp usb flash drives!!!!

They are not reliable!!

I bought a 16 gb (v255w) flash drive and used it as a storage device for my xbox 360.  I transferred my files from my 4 gb xbox to the flash drive instead.  It worked fine for a few days but then suddenly all of my files had been deleted - xbox wiped clean.

I called hp support and after being transferred back and forth they finally said that not only did they have noone designated in customer service to deal with these issues, but that they would do nothing to resolve the issue, except offer to send me another (potentially faulty) flash drive. 

While my case was nothing more than a bit annoying as it was only (100s) of hours of game saves, the fact that if this had been important files of any kind and hp would essentially turn a blind eye is quite unnerving to say the least.  Hopefully I can at least return the flash drive where I bought it.

My advice --->  stay away from hp for usb storage!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation