Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi - I apologize if this was already asked, but I couldn't find it. I have a G Series laptop (I'm at work so I don't have the specifics on me) and as of Friday night, out of nowhere, the touchpad stopped functioning properly. All clicks responded as if I had was right clicking. Needless to say, this was annoying. I tested all of my touchpad settings, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried new drivers, rolled back drivers, system restore, etc. and nothing worked. When I plug in a USB mouse, it still works perfectly, if that helps at all. But whenever I used the left click below the touchpad, it acts as a right click (however, the touchclick, or whatever it's called on the touchpad still works as a left click).

I called and was given the advice you might expect...hard reset followed by a system recovery if that didn't work. The hard reset didn't work (big surprise), and I really don't want to lose my stuff; since I can still use the USB mouse, it's not the absolute end of the world. But I'm still irritated by it. It's a month away from the warranty being over, so I need to get moving on this. But I don't know how helpful HP is going to be with this (judging by their first bits of advice, not very).

Any suggestions? This literally happened out of nowhere. I seem to remember this happening sometimes on my desktop, but that always managed to remedy itself by clicking some buttons, shutting down, etc. This time, that's not doing the trick.

I'd appreciate any insight or help into this issue. Thanks very much!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

have you tried reinstalling the touchpad driver directly from the partition? Hold down f11 as the computer starts> select hardware and driver reinstallation> next> choose the touchpad driver then finish.

Seems like you've done everything and since restore didnt work, i guess you really need to backup the files to start a recovery process. Reinstalling the Os is part of the troubleshooting..

HP Recommended

Can we get the exact mode number of the notebook? The thing to remember about new touchpad design on new HP notebooks is that Clicks button are now intergrated into the touchpad itself but you will still need to do a physical click. Tapping in the click zone will make it function as left click as it would activites the tap function of the touchpad...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

Miracle of miracles! Last night, I was on the computer and I set it down for a second...I must have hit something just righ because when I picked it up, the batter pack had fallen out. I panicked (that's what I do), but put it back in, rebooted, and lo and behold, everything worked again, including the touchpad.

I don't know why the hard reset didn't work (I took the battery pack out then, too), but everything seems to be fine.

Thanks so much for your help...I only wish all of my computer problems could be solved that easily!

HP Recommended

Oh well...I knew it was too good to last. It's not working again. I came home from work today, turned it on, used it successfully for a few minutes, then the problem recurred. I tried pulling out the battery again (just in case) but that didn't do it.

Thanks for your responses. My model number is G60t-200. alt_164, I haven't tried your solution yet, but I'll give it a shot.

If anyone has any other thoughts, that would be very helpful. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@fuadramses

Hi,

Go to:

Control Panel -> Mouse -> Devices Settings

Click there ' Device Settings ' tab. Choose ' Synaptics TouchPad ' and little lower click on ' Settings... '. From the list which will be there select ' Buttons '. In this section every user may select any action for any touchpad button. Please share with us informations from there.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

I've found that for Windows Vista Home Premium, what it calls a full backup really doesn't even try to back up everything on the hard drive.  It leaves out most of the software and most of the system files.  Haven't had a chance to check if this is also true for the corresponding Windows 7 versions.

HP Recommended

@ fuadramses - if you have G60t-200, I would suggest reinstall the driver from here and check... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49501-50000/sp49522.exe

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

Had the same problem, what I did works just as well but it's an adjustment.

Go to touchpad settings (under 'Synaptics Touchpad v6.5')

then click on buttons, manual for right mouse

Instead of the normal right button setting, I switched it to button completely disabled.

Now your mousepad only recognises left clicking and if you want to use the right mouse button, you lick once with the touchpad on the item you want, then click the button on the right of 'alt gr' (on the left of 'ctrl')

this has the same ability.

Inias

HP Recommended

I have an HP 2000 Notebook PC and am have ing the same issue theleft click is acting like the right click.  i have uninstaled and reinstaled the drivers , i have check the mouse setings i dont know what esle to do.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.