Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am getting increasingly frustrated with my Synaptics Touchpad, which is not functioning properly and I cannot find a solution. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of the latest drivers and still haven't resolved the problem.

The orange light, in the top left corner of the touchpad, is constantly lit. In the past, I had to double tap this light to enable/disable the touch function for the touchpad. This no longer works and the light is constantly on. 

The "Tap to click" function of my touch pad no longer works. All other functions work fine, and I can use the buttons at the base of the touchpad to click, but I cannot tap and select something. 

I have a HP Pavilion dv6.

Any urgent response would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Refer to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-yo...

and then go to device manager(refer to below link for help getting here) and right click anywhere in that video and scan for hardware updates.

Please provide hardware ids:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID (also is in device manager)

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Refer to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-yo...

and then go to device manager(refer to below link for help getting here) and right click anywhere in that video and scan for hardware updates.

Please provide hardware ids:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID (also is in device manager)

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
HP Recommended

That worked perfectly. Thank you!

For anyone who has the same problem, these are the steps that fixed it...

1. Installed Microsoft Silverlight on my computer (from here)
  2. Right-click on 'My Computer' icon on desktop
  3. Click 'Manage'
  4. Click 'Device Manager'
  5. Click 'Mice and other pointing devices'
  6. Right-click Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad
  7. Search for and install new drivers
  8. Restart machine

After that, everything finally works just as it should! Thank you so much for helping so quickly!

HP Recommended

Glad it worked! Feel free to ask the community if you need more help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.