Question

Top Student
AZDesertGal
Message 1 of 3 (207 Views)

Typing stops

I have HP pavilion dv7 1285 upgraded to windows 7 64 bit.  Many times when I am typing it stops and I have to wait for several minutes and then it starts typing again.  I notice this mostly with my emails and facebook.  (maybe its because that is what I mostly do on my computer?)   Right now it is working here and just hope I can get thru this without it stopping on me again.,

A friend told me to check for firmware updates but when I do it takes me to driver updates and finds no updates there.

I don't know what else to do.  Have been waiting for a call that I can take it in to store but they will have to send it in for repairs and that can take about 2 weeks.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 3 (202 Views)

Re: Typing stops

AZDesertGal,

Your computer may or may not be "broken".  The delays in response could simple be happening because the network is slow to respond, the computer is "busy" with another process, you have too much going on at one time (for the computer to handle)...

If you are running Windows 7 64 bit and you have limited RAM (not very much memory) on the computer, AND you are listening to music while you are tapping on Facebook, and you have a slow internet connection, and you have your email open in the background... your computer may just be "overrwhelmed" sometimes and "get stuck in the mud" temporarily.

That was not technical.  I can "go techy" if you like.  Same result:  The computer may not be the issue in the sense that it may be "at fault", but it may not be broken.

What to do? 

• Do have the computer looked at.
  • Do be careful about whom you trust - computer repair stores are like auto mechanics - some are great and some are not.
  • Do some homework of your own.  You don't have to be "techy" to learn some basics. 
  • Find out a little about what you have so you can say, "Yes, I have that and it should be OK."... Or,  Yes, I have this and maybe I would like to upgrade..."

For example:

• 4 GB of RAM (memory) on a computer running Win7 is not very much.  Windows 7 is greedy.  Your computer might be slower than you like.
  • 8 GB and more of RAM is better, of course, and leaves you with "extra resource" for music, games, and other "stuff".
  • Running Facebook is network intensive... If you leave other "Messager" programs running in the background at the same time, your computer may "drag" while it tries to keep everything going at once.  Try closing everything except what you need at the time and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you appreciate the help…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Is it Solved? Please Click this Post “Accept as Solution” to say "Yes!"

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
sommstudio
Message 3 of 3 (163 Views)

Re: Typing stops

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new z210 Workstation and it does the same thing. In fact, it just stopped typing on me in the first sentence of this message. I purchased an extra 4 GB of memory on top of the 8 it came with.

Oops - did it again!

Here is one more thing. My net - Jeez! again! - my network connection keeps breaking.  So I am wondering if there is a security setting that needs changed? 

I decided that the problem must be my network connection, that the interruption in my network was breaking off my typing. So I used my computer's network troubleshooter and changed the Power Management settings on my network adapter, as prompted by the "Windows Help and Support" wizard.

This actually worked for about 10 minutes. Then I got disconnected - Yep, and again just now - and my cursor went away like before.

This is a connectivity problem, not a memory problem or a typing problem.

Please help. Thanks.

S

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation