Question

Student
Davidc
Message 1 of 4 (13,905 Views)

USB Docking station problems

I'm not sure if its by design or not but the FQ834AA docking station doesnt seem to like having its VGA or DVI ports as the primary display.

Here is the problem I'm having.  

Just got a new FQ834AA docking station and HP 2140 mini notebook. 

If I connect the notebook to the external monitor using the VGA port on the side, it works great,  I can have the laptop as my primary display or I can have the monitor as my primary display (In full resolution)  or I can extend the desktop accross both. 

Using the docking station, All I can do is either Mirror the displays, so the same is displayed on both ( in the low resolution of the laptop screen, which defeats the purpose of using the external monitor!) Or I can also extend my desktop ( which suprisingly lets me have the extended desktop at its full resolution.) But as soon as I want to use the monitor as my primary display using the docking station, It just doesnt work. 

Has anyone come accross anything similar?  Am I expecting too much?

Its definately the docking station and its ability to use the displays because I've tried several other laptops even of different brands and they all behave the same. 

Tutor
tgoguely
Message 2 of 4 (13,701 Views)

Re: USB Docking station problems

David, are you using the Windows Display Properties window to set the display attached to the dock as the primary? You can access by clicking on the DisplayLink icon in the taskbar (looks like a little monitor) and then choosing "Advanced". Sometimes the Intel display control application will not recognize the display connected to the dock and as such won't let it become the primary display. I have also seen some netbooks not be able to make the dock display primary, but this was due to an Intel graphics driver limitation, it should be fine with full-sized laptops.

If you still can't seem to make the dock display primary, you can always simulate it by dragging the Start Taskbar and your icons over to the dock display.

Hope this helps!

Student
fweibel
Message 3 of 4 (12,579 Views)

Re: USB Docking station problems

hello davidc

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Did you find a solution in the mean time? 

thanks

Fabio

Student
BB2282
Message 4 of 4 (12,518 Views)

Re: xb2000 docking station

Experiencing a display problem with my xb2000 docking station I have had it for 3 years when I connect the station to the laptop computer there is no display on the computer screen. I disconnect the docking station and restrat the computer the screen is fine. once the computer is on I can connect the docking station and you can see the poweer is on by the brightness of the screen however the wireless mouse and keyboard do not work. the speakers on the docking station work as does the volume control. could this be a connector problrn how can I determine if the problem is the docking station or the computer connection? has anyone elese experienced this problem, whats the fix?

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation