Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Its been a month i am trying to install Linux on my notebook book but got nothing...

i am using HP Pavilion G4  (model no : G4-1321TX) , Windows installation is successful but when ever i try to install Linux (multiboot or only linux) it stuck after showing installation screen. Shows only black screen. 

So far i have tried Redhat, fedora, open suse, (k)ubantu, mint, arch , bsd all shows the same black screen after showing installation screen.

addition specifications : 

System Model : HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC

System Type  :x64-based PC

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date : Hewlett-Packard F.42, 12/8/2011

SMBIOS Version  ; 2.7

can some body please tell me what to do and how to do.. 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi.. problem solved >.< though it costs me to around 400GB of data but solved... 😄

actually the main problem is with my partation type it was dynamic. i searched on linux forums and they advised to changed the partation type from dynamic to basic. 

thanks any ways 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You can successfully change your default OS to Ubuntu or remove Win 7 and Install Ubuntu, so that there'll be only Ubuntu in you Laptop.

I've g6 1201-tx. Right now I've triple booted with Linux Mint 14 KDE, Win 7, Win 8(Trial). Linux is my default OS.

Here's how you should do it:

1) To Dual-boot:

• To have Windows Bootloader
    If you want to operate through Windows Bootloader, you should directly install Ubuntu from Windows using Ubuntu Installer. So that after installing, your Windows will be deafult bootloader and you'll see Windows 7 and Ubuntu listed when you boot.
    If you want to uninstall Ubuntu in future, simply go to Control Panel and Uninstall Ubuntu from Programs and Features.
    But you'll still see Ubuntu listed in boot menu, when you boot laptop. To remove that, check out link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17903/remove-ubuntu-or-xp-from-the-windows-7-boot-menu/

So after doing above step, you'll only see Windows 7 when you boot! :smileyhappy:

• To have GRUB2 as your default boot loader:
    Create a bootable DVD or USB of your Ubuntu. To create bootable DVD, simply burn .ISO file using Windows Disc burning tool. To create bootable USB, using Linux Live USB Creator. Link: http://linuxliveusb.com/en/download

Now boot from bootable media by changing bootable media from BIOS settings(Esc>F9).

After that you'll be in Live Ubuntu mode. Ubuntu forum: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

I suggest you to install Ubuntu on another Partition and create swap partition by clicking on 'Something else'.
    Now follow those steps.

So when you restart PC, GRUB2 will be your default bootloader and you'll be able to select Ubuntu or Win 7.

2) To delete Win 7 and Install Ubuntu:

Follow step:1.2, but select Win 7 (C Drive) partition to as a location to install Ubuntu.

I hope this is helpful. I've tried to cover all possibilities. if you need any help, post here.

You won't face any problem with Drivers. Ubuntu is one of the most widely used Linux Distro, so all drivers are available and they work well as they do in Windows! :smileyhappy:

|___________________________|
HP Recommended
Though above I've mentioned Ubuntu, consider it as any Linux Distro.

HP Recommended
The problem is not boot loader... machine simply wont allow me to install any linux OS .. after i boot from bootable DVD shows me the options and when i hit enter for installation it shows only black screen. i have tried installing Ubuntu from windows but the same problem...
HP Recommended

Simple !!!

Press F3 to increase brightness of the screen!!!

HP Recommended

i was just trying that... nope not helping.. trying to istall Fedora 18 same.... 

give me some time to install ubantufrom windows i'll post the results... 

😞 

HP Recommended
Okay. Try once.

I too always see black screen in Linux, so have to press F3 to increase brightness of the screen.

HP Recommended

Hi.. problem solved >.< though it costs me to around 400GB of data but solved... 😄

actually the main problem is with my partation type it was dynamic. i searched on linux forums and they advised to changed the partation type from dynamic to basic. 

thanks any ways 🙂

HP Recommended

I'm glad to know that! 🙂

Newer models of Pavilion have Dynamic Partitions.

My Pavilion g6 1201-tx, bought a year ago, had static partitions, so I never faced this problem. Newer g series laptops launched in April 2012, have Dynamic; my one friend had that.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.