Question

Honor Student
StoneDaMan
Message 1 of 8 (9,168 Views)

Utility to program s/n, p/n, UUID in new mobo bios?

I have replaced the motherboard on the following laptop:

HP Pavilion DV2000 (DV2210us)
p/n: RP408UA#ABA

The only problem I am having now is that I don't have the HP utility that allows me to program the serial number, product number, and UUID in the bios.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find this utility?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Master's Graduate
muka3D
Message 2 of 8 (9,152 Views)

Re: Utility to program s/n, p/n, UUID in new mobo bios?

A utility to change your serial/product/UUID numbers is not available. Think of it as changing the VIN or odometer on your car, tools like that aren't readily available. Also, changing that information on your unit could affect the operation of certain software/recovery on your system.

Now, did you acquire and replace the motherboard yourself, or did you send it in to an HP service center for replacement?

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
Honor Student
belorsch
Message 3 of 8 (8,966 Views)

I don't agree with your thought process on this Muka. Other pc vendors have utilities for this. I work for a public school system that uses Landesk software to pull info like serial numbers from pc and laptop bios. Now I can understand if there is a verification process to obtain a utility like this. Your ordinary Joe user would probably not be worried about the serial number in the Bios matching the one on the case but for larger entities concerned with inventory control this is an issue.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (8,959 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You might want to give this a try. It works on HP business PC's...You must use a floppy drive for it to work however. Use a USB floppy drive.  And it works for many more models than those listed--right up to the newest Elite 8100.

[text removed]

Paul

Honor Student
belorsch
Message 5 of 8 (8,937 Views)

I needed it for an 8510P but it couldn't write to its EEPROM. I did test it on our DC5750's however and that did work. I made it into a bootable cd so I didnt have to worry about the floppy. Thanks for the help. I just need to continue hunting for the same type of thing for the laptops.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (8,928 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry it didn't work on the notebooks.

I have found 3 ancient links for the utility for different notebooks. They must have a different BIOS than desktops. You can try them I guess, because what do you have to lose but a little time?  I see no modern day utility for notebooks. May have to be done by HP.

[text removed]

Paul

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 7 of 8 (8,918 Views)

The tool call as HP DMI tool.

That tool is only available for official HP technician and its associates, not for user  (top secret stuff)

You may try your luck with Google and use it at your own risk.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Master's Graduate
WendyM
Message 8 of 8 (8,904 Views)

This thread is being locked, please remember:

Obey the law and keep your word. Don't post anything that would violate any law, or any contractual agreement that you have made.

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation