Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

What does the file HPMSGSVC.exe do ... it came preloaded on my new compaq laptop ... loads itself into memory ever boot ... and uses over 90% of the processor time (as reported by the task manager) causing other processes to run slow because of the lack of processor time they can get ... this is on a new Compaq Presario CQ42 with an AMD processor running Windows 7 Home (64 bit) ... any info on this would be appreciated!

Rhonda

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

hi i have the same program running (i googled it and your post came up) and its taking 25% of the cpu. If you find out what it is please tell me!! thanks!

oh and this is a brand new dv6 with an intel processor and windows 7 premium

HP Recommended

HPMSGSVC.exe is 90% of the processor time? sounds like HP Quicklaunch is having a problem...

try re-installing the driver:
Recovery Manager>Hardware Drivers Re-Installation>HP Quicklaunch Driver

I hope it helps...

HP Recommended

update your anti virus and run a full system scan

HP Recommended

It is killing my CQ62-214NR lap with W7.

It is taking 95% of the CPU to do nothing, causing constant lockups.

It may be a virus, trying to look like a HP factory quicklaunch.

I killed it in TM and IE started working again.  But I do not know how to permanently kill it.   Have not figured out how to get thru to HP support yet, want to ask them about it.

HP Recommended

Hi,   I just got off of the HP Support Line.

1.  It is a HP program, it is the Quick Launch Feature, for the buttons on top of keyboard for wireless etc.

2.  It is the problem.  It was robbing 90%+ of my CPU.  After taking it out (task manager will do it temporary) the system went back to being fast.

3. Solution:  Remove it from Start Menu,  HP should just can it, it is a troublemaker.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this info! I was having all sorts of trouble:  my web browser kept locking up. I saw lots of system resources diverted by HP Quicklaunch which is a waste. I made the huge mistake of installing (allowing the install of) the MSN toolbar which is another resource hog. I just uninstalled both Quicklaunch and MSN Toolbar - instantly my system performance was boosted. This is a very new  HP latop which came loaded with lots of crapware. Norton is another very annoying resource hog. If I wanted Norton I would install it.  Even those decent apps that make your life easier such as Adobe Reader and Flash - if you are not constantly vigilant and uncheck boxes you end up with all kinds of junk that you neither want nor realize how much they steal from your system's resources.

HP Recommended

Happening to me too. HPMSGSVC.exe

HP Recommended

the same problem her - and HP-support dont know anything about it!!

have a talk with them and:

erase the program HP launch, use control erase programs and thoise the HP-launch (you will always recover it from HP-recovery)

HP Recommended

the same problem her - and HP-support dont know anything about it!!

have a talk with them and:

erase the program HP quick launch, use control erase programs and thoise the HP-launch (you will always recover it from HP-recovery)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.