Question

Tutor
MilesChap
Message 1 of 14 (5,026 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is function of fn key

Searched and searched for a defiition and nothng found, even at HP's site.  I have a new laptop HP Pavilion dm41060us and haven't a clue as to fn key.usage  Could someone please direct me to a site that provides the usage?

Thanks, Miles

Tutor
MilesChap
Message 2 of 14 (5,025 Views)

Re: What is function of fn key

First time I've used this forum and just realized that a reply email is not automatic.  So I've now checked it.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 14 (5,022 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The fn key serves more than one function and its action will be dictated by the other key(s) pressed in combination with the fn key.  Basically though it's a way of accessing shortcuts, for example holding down the fn button and pressing f3 is a quick way to open your browser homepage.  Some other uses are detailed on the link below.  I realise that this is not your model but a lot of the information is relevant.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5508834_compaq-presario-function-keys-explained.html

Hope this is of some use.

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 14 (5,019 Views)

If you are refering to change in function key (i am talking abt f1,f2,etc) on new hp notebook....

You Can disable that functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Tutor
MilesChap
Message 5 of 14 (5,003 Views)

Apparently the function keys for the Presario differ from mine, so am still looking for a list that will operate on my machine.  Amazing that HP can't get their act together to publish a list for each machine they produce -- Help is as useless as their tech support -- nill!  With a little luck I can return this computer and buy a different brand such as a Lenovo or Dell.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 6 of 14 (4,996 Views)

Is there a specific info that you are looks for?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Tutor
MilesChap
Message 7 of 14 (4,992 Views)

Yes and no.  First of all I would like to know what each of the 12 F keys do when the fn key is held down.  This applies to a basic Win7 with no programs yet installed.

Additionally which key opens into bio and which into safe mode.  Plus anything else that may be available.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 8 of 14 (4,990 Views)

[ Edited ]

So here is list for what function keys do

Before entering the OS

F1 - System Information
F2 - System Diagnostics
F9 - Boot Device Options
F10 - BIOS setup
F11 - System Recovery

During Boot

F8 - Windows Advance Option

In Windows

F1 - Open Help window
F2  - Rename the selected item
F3 - Opens Search window
F4 - Display the Address bar drop down list in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
F5 - Refresh the current active window
F6 - Cycle through items in current active window
F10 - Displays the menu bar in the active window and underlines the menu bar shortcut keys
F11 - Toggle Full Screen Mode On or Off in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
Alt + F4 - Close the current active window or program. From the desktop, it opens the Shut Down Windows window.
Ctrl + F4 - Close the active document (in programs that allow you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
Shift + F10 - Open context menu of selected item

Hope this helps....

Tutor
MilesChap
Message 9 of 14 (4,970 Views)

Thanks, and that's a great start which I'll print out.  Now what is the functions using the fn key?  I can see that F2 7 # dim & brighten the screen and F12 is related to sound.  And F10,11, & 12 relate to sound volume, soft, louder, off, but they seem to actuate with the CTRL key, not fn.  Also with WordPad open, hitting F10 causes 5 keyboard characters to appear in the upper left, but have no idea what they do.  Also somewho once I managed to change that mapping whereby different characters were seen.

What does it take to have HP explain their keyboard mapping?

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 10 of 14 (4,968 Views)

The Fn Key on dm4 is Activates the Function Key (I am talking about f1-f12)

On the 2nd Part your question, are you saying that Action Key (Brightness, Playback & Volume Control) are getting activited only if you us CTRL key, have i got this right? The reason, I am asking this question is because, the Action Key should work stand along, you dont need CTRL or Fn Key....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation