Question

Student
SpanishJuly
Message 1 of 4 (2,150 Views)

What is ......._hiddenPbk Folder with rasphone file

I recently downloaded a wireless, remote printer driver.  Initially the download showed an error that the driver was not properly downloaded and to try again.  Weirdly enough, right after the download attempt, a folder named "_hiddenPbk" showed up on my desktop.   Every time I delete it, it reappears on its own.  Even worse, now Adobe Reader will not open or anything that requires Adobe Flash Player will not work since this "_hiddenPbk" folder appeared.  Also, my MicroSoft word opens with but with tons of error screens.

Is this fold a virus?

Student
tonyz26
Message 2 of 4 (2,105 Views)

Re: What is ......._hiddenPbk Folder with rasphone file

I have the same problem...have you figured anything out yet????

Student
moonlittrail
Message 3 of 4 (1,984 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, although I was able to delete it by dragging it to the Recycle Bin.  However, I started getting Adobe popup errors all the time and I could no longer run Firefox.  Downloads seemed to disappear into "nowhere".  I ran several anti-virus and anti-spyware programs but nothing was detected.  It generally went downhill from there and I ended up restoring out-of-box.  Even my backup did not work.  I believe it was a virus that poses as an anti-virus program so it is not detected.

It is interesting that I also downloaded wireless printer software the day before this started....

May you have better luck.

Student
WildSchatz
Message 4 of 4 (1,129 Views)

[ Edited ]

I work at a Technology Support Helpdesk and just spent sometime assisting a client with this problem. After some troubleshooting, I realized that this folder, _hiddenPbk, only seemed to affect his local user profile as the other user profiles did not have the folder, nor shared the same symptoms. So I simply recreated a new profile for the client and all was well....for now. I hope this information helps others as I have noticed an endless amount of forums discussing this issue with no fix available.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation