Question

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 1 of 8 (11,715 Views)

What is the normal temperature range for AMD Turion

Hi

I have seen some posts that say their system is overheating and goes to 90C or 99 C.

Some say that idle temp is 65C and etc etc.

I just want to know what is the normal temperature for AMD turion processors(I am using RM-74).

Idle Temp - ?

Surfing Temp - ?

Load Temp - ?

My system shows following temps.

idle - 65C

Surfind - 75C

Gaming - 90C (NFS)

is it normal temp reading? or my system is running too hot?

Plz Help...

Tutor
bkspero
Message 2 of 8 (11,666 Views)

Re: What is the normal temperature range for AMD Turion

I think that those temperatures are normal for HP AMD laptops.....and they are too hot.  100C is the peak rated operating temperature.  Getting within 10C of that is not good.  Not much you can do about it though.  HP will tell you that it's normal.  And the computer will, most likely, survive a 1 yr warranty.  So you can face paying for a repair in year 2 or 3.

Keep the vents open.  Use the laptop on a hard surface.  Not on upholstery or even cloth.  Better yet, lift it off the surface with small supports..it improves airflow under the computer to the vents.  If you use it on your lap, locate it so that the vents are not blocked by your garments.  Finally, make sure the vents are not filled with dust.  Vacuum them periodically.

Good luck

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 8 (11,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

Right now mine is hovering from 38-40 C after browsing online for a couple of hrs...Facebook, here at the forum,etc. I do use a notebook cooling pad w/fan under mine though, so not sure what it would be without it.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
bkspero
Message 4 of 8 (11,638 Views)

Cheryl, could you do a test without the laptop cooler pad?  I could get the temperature of my AMD laptop down to about 55C when surfing by raising it an inch over the surface of my desk.  Never down to 40C.  It would be helpful to determine the degree of benefit provided by the laptop cooler pad.

Just put it on a hard wooden surface and continue to work.  If you can't, no issue.  Just thought the OP might find it helpful to put his computer into perspective.  My feedback was based upon reading notes from hundreds of posters here, at [Text Deleted].com, and other places online.

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 5 of 8 (11,634 Views)

First i would like to thank you all for your comments.

(No offence) I dont believe that its required to use a cooling pad...if that so why HP doesnot mention that buyer need to use a cooling pad to cool down their system.

I believe that notebook designs are tested before they start production and if they are getting hot then there must be something wrong with the hardware/software for that particular machine.

I also know that some ppl use cooling pad...what i believe is that there may be some special requirement for users to use a cooling pad...like they use them in extreme hot conditions...or they use notebooks with heavy load most of the time and thay might be overclocking it..

I dont think under normal circumstances a notebook requires a cooling pad. Isnt it?

I would be happy to see some comments on this....please enlighten me...

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 8 (11,627 Views)

[ Edited ]

bkspero wrote:

Cheryl, could you do a test without the laptop cooler pad?  I could get the temperature of my AMD laptop down to about 55C when surfing by raising it an inch over the surface of my desk.  Never down to 40C.  It would be helpful to determine the degree of benefit provided by the laptop cooler pad.

Just put it on a hard wooden surface and continue to work.  If you can't, no issue.  Just thought the OP might find it helpful to put his computer into perspective.  My feedback was based upon reading notes from hundreds of posters here, at [Text Deleted].com, and other places online.

Running without cooling pad>> CPU 52-56 depending on where I was surfing. More importantly to me is the difference in GPU temps having experienced the infamous graphic failure on a previous laptop at 11 months old.

Right now with nothing open except this forum page GPU has cooled back down to 60-61C, but was bouncing from 62-67C. With cooling pad it usually stays 55-57C during normal surfing,email,etc.It does of course go up with graphic intensive apps such as playing a game or video.

As to the the remarks by the other poster about a cooling pad should not be required, that may well be_but one only has to research all of the failures of HP and other laptops that many people attribute to heat related issues in these thin light cases with powerful,heat generating hardware.

Having had an 11 month old laptop die in 2008, I prefer to use a cooling pad.I also periodically use compressed air to clean all external ports and vents.My current 18 month old laptop is still running like a champ.Cooler temps do increase life of hardware,imo,...your mileage may vary.:smileyhappy:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
mrdel83
Message 7 of 8 (11,606 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to mention that temp highly depend upon your power configuration...

I am using Vista and when i use Power saver mode ...surfing temp goes around 55C only.

when i use HP recomemded setting surfind temp goes to 65C..... and when i use High Performance it goes above 70C....

When i use High Performance and play game like There.com ....CPU temp goes to 90C+

so please also mention what configuration u were using while testing the temp....

Honor Student
pip31594
Message 8 of 8 (9,214 Views)

I have an HP laptop, with AMD Turion X2 has had temp control problems after 1st 6 mths of use.  Bought a cooler for it today, its the first time in about 2 years, that I have been able to run processor at full speed without it crashing on me.

If you do a search for problems on your laptop, high running temp is one of them.  I was informed from someone at HP that the problem is that the case was designed around and Intel.  Consequently, runs hotter, it sure feels a lot cooler with the extra fan blowing.

I have put the thing in the fridge before now to cool it down so I could get it to boot.  Bet HP doesnt tell you that either.

If you feel you are having temp issues, get a cooler, you will be glad of it.

I am.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation