Whining Noise (960 Views)
Honor Student
dmblea
Message 1 of 1 (960 Views)

Whining Noise

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago, my HP Pavilion dv6-2155dx Entertainment Notebook PC had begun making what a “whining” sound from the back left side of my laptop.  Besides being loud and extremely disruptive, I was told by two different HP technical support members that this was not normal, and I should send it back immediately for repair, while it is still under warranty (which doesn't expire for several months). Here is a link that another individual had posted on You Tube that perfectly depicts the "CPU Whine" that I was, and currently experiencing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBkIgJ24-vY

I reluctantly sent my laptop back to HP for repair, leaving me without a laptop for approximately a week.  When it was returned to me, included with the laptop was a repair sheet receipt stating “The problem was duplicated during full diagnostics” and as such they repaired the Thermal Pad and Heatsink Fan.  The laptop was then working for a couple days, and then all of a sudden the "whining" noise returned, at the same decibel level as before. This, combined with my reading online that several others have also sent their laptops back to be fixed, only to have them returned not being fixed, has given me very little hope that there is a fix to this problem.

As it stands today, I’m still waiting for the appropriate individuals within HP to contact me to discuss my options.  I will say that I am not willing to send this laptop back to HP for a second repair, as not only will this will leave me without a laptop for yet another week but I am quite confident that it would not come back to me with a permanent fix.    Clearly there is a deeper underlying problem with my laptop, and I simply want HP to make it right.

I highly doubt anyone with the authority to mend this situation will ever read this post, but nonetheless I feel little better having this forum as a means to vent.   Thanks for listening.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation