Windows License Key Sticker (4388 Views)
Top Student
Knuckx
Message 1 of 10 (4,388 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows License Key Sticker

This is the license key sticker of my (6 month old!) HP Pavilion DV6-2115sa:

My laptops licence sticker.

Some portions removed for privacy reasons (serial, last block of lic key). Other portions removed themselves :smileysad:.

I don't think this should have happened to a laptop that hasn't been mistreated and only used on a desk and on my lap.
So -
Why has it done this?
Who do I blame :smileymad: - MS or HP?
Where do I get a replacement key from if I need to reinstall?

Should I remove the sticker from the laptop, as it is basically useless as proof of license in its current state?

Grad Student
MattM
Message 2 of 10 (4,369 Views)

Re: Windows License Key Sticker

the same thing is happening to my 1yr old DV7. fortunately i wrote down the key before the middle block got wore off.

you can use this KeyFinder to recover the OEM key off your laptop, that can be used to reinstall incase your recovery fails.

Top Student
Knuckx
Message 3 of 10 (4,357 Views)

Thanks for that link. I have got the OEM Key out of the installed OS with it, but it seems to be different to the couple of letters that are still readable from the Licence Key sticker :smileysurprised:.
I really think the label is really bad example of design - it shouldn't fall to pieces after six months...

Grad Student
MattM
Message 4 of 10 (4,329 Views)

thats because that key is a OEM_SLP key, which is used to pre-activate windows offline, with the SLIC table in your BIOS. if you were to use that key, it would pre-activate your computer after install.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 5 of 10 (4,319 Views)

With doing a recovery the computer should never ask you for that key...and, if for whatever reason it does that key probably wont work. Using the recovery media or partition will automatically pull the key tattoo off the systemboard. That key is only used so Microsoft knows that you have an OEM copy of windows and they can pull that documentation by other means, assuming you can still boot

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
Knuckx
Message 6 of 10 (4,298 Views)

I cannot perform a recovery as I do not have any recovery media (none supplied) nor a recovery partition (removed by Acronis when I cloned my HDD to an SSD). I have a Retail Windows 7 Home Premium disc that should work with the key if I need to reinstall. I have managed to recover the key from the sticker with a UV light and a magnifying glass.

Grad Student
MattM
Message 7 of 10 (4,257 Views)

Nice, ill remember that, the next time i have one of my labels fade away

Honor Student
ddubbed
Message 8 of 10 (3,820 Views)

Just so you know, the windows key is not the only problem you will have.

If you have preinstalled software like Microsoft Office and your purchase does not come with the install disk or you have not run a gost copy of your hard drive (NOT HP BACKUP) you will loose the Office installation even with the key.

It seems the if the manufacture (such as HP) has a license from Microsoft to install a program that has a key, that key is only valid to the orignal purchaser which is a one time install which is HP,  not the enduser/customer which is you & I.

My delima, bought two HP notebooks from staples (identical). In the 13 month 1 of the hard drives went bad. I purcahsed a new hard drive and install software from HP.

All the paperwork and websites says the software that I purchased installs the system as it was in its orignal install.

As a dummy I did not read between the lines.

The install software did install win 7 in its orignal state, however it does not install any programs like MS Office 2007 pro full version.

If you think you have it figured out, you can go to the download site and download the program such as MS Office 2007 pro full version with the key,  install it, waist your life doing all the updates, then when you try to us the program that you purchased it tells you that it is only good for 16 uses the it will go dead.

So I have 1 HP notebook  (dv6-1334us) that is junk and HP, MS,MS Office cannot help or is unwilling to resolve this issue.

DW

Student
saravanapandian
Message 9 of 10 (644 Views)

[ Edited ]

my laptop model dv6-1355dx

s/n {Personal Information Removed}

P/N VM222UA#ABA

LAPTOP HARD IS DEAD

SO I AM  INSATALL OEM WINDOWS 7 BUT MY WINDOWS 7 LICENCE KEY STICKER ERASE IN BOTTOM SIDE.

X15-53758 THIS KEY ONLY FOUND IN LICENCE KEY STICKER

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT

HP
HevnLgh
Message 10 of 10 (614 Views)

Hello saravanapandian,

I would like you to refer to this post  and try the link for the KeyFinder posted by MattM . See if this allows you to get that information back. If not you will have to contact Microsoft for support on the Windows 7 License Key Sticker. 

I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation