Question

jef Honor Student
Honor Student
jef
Message 1 of 8 (8,263 Views)

antivirus for mini

I recently purchased a mini for my wife and I beleive it has only a 8 gig hard drive.  I need to put a antivirus program on it.  Does anyone have a recomendation for one that uses a very small amount of disk space?  I use AVG on my other systems.  Thanks
Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (8,238 Views)

Re: antivirus for mini

AVG Free is about 46 megs to download and Avast is 27 megs. I do not know of anything much smaller than that which I can recommend. Of course the best Antivirus of all is Linux and I thought the 8 gig drive only came on the Linux version.
Intern
JJLuvzU
Message 3 of 8 (8,220 Views)

I'd recommend Avast! as well. -> Avast! Homepage

jef Honor Student
Honor Student
jef
Message 4 of 8 (8,208 Views)

Thanks for the replysThe Mini 1000 8g runs on XP.
Honor Student
Mobiles-World
Message 5 of 8 (5,520 Views)

Hi there,

Old topic but I had a similar problem on my mini laptop and I found http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus You can upload files size of 1MB at a time to scan for viruses. I mainly use it for e-mail attachments. It might be helpful to anyone else looking for the same solution.

Kind Regards.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 6 of 8 (5,508 Views)

8GB?? I don't think that newer minis have got just 8GB hdd. Anyway, I used to have AVG free edition but changed it to MS Essentials. It's just 7.2MB big and also for free like the others(Avast, AVG, Avira..). If you surf safely don't need an antivirus at all. Also don't open any suspicious mail etc..:smileyhappy:

8GB hdd? Xubuntu might be a good choice. It runs on poor hardware configs quite fast..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
Mobiles-World
Message 7 of 8 (5,499 Views)

Unfortunately I have the old one but its quite handy when you are out and about and I just love the ease of use. I have AVG free version for my desktop but as mentioned its quite large for my mini. Mini is only for business use, more like reading mails and presentations.

Cheers!

Grad Student
ClintonTam
Message 8 of 8 (5,444 Views)

Why not download the free Microsoft Security Essentials if you are using MS Operating System?

It is only 14.83MB. It is better than a lot of Antivirus software in the market.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation