Question

Top Student
TheKevin408
Message 1 of 29 (24,133 Views)
Accepted Solution

battery not charging

hello all. i have a pavilion dv6833us for a little over a year now.
recently, the battery has not been able to fully charge. when plugged in, the blue light on the AC input does not light up. so, i bought an ebay AC adapter/power cord and it worked for a day. then the next day it kind of did the same thing again. except now, when the AC adapter is plugged in to the outlet(wall), the laptop input's blue light turns on but the battery is not getting a charge. any ideas what the problem is?
also, i dont know if this helps but i removed the battery from the laptop and had the AC adapter plugged in. the laptop would not turn on.
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 2 of 29 (24,160 Views)

Re: battery not charging

Hi there, I'm going to walk you through some troubleshooting steps if you're willing.

1. With the Battery in and the AC plugged in and the light on click on the start icon and type in "battery" you should see "HP Battery check" come up in the list.

2. Click on HP Battery check, it will give a status on the left and a message related to it on the right, please put both in a reply in this forum link and we'll go from there.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 3 of 29 (24,093 Views)

Sorry I may have forgotten to click the 'E-mail me when someone responds" box so if you reply send me an email please.

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
aSaluja
Message 4 of 29 (24,074 Views)

hi there, I am also facing similar problem with battery or maybe adapter? I do have presario v2000 notebook and have been using it for more than 3 years. Suddenly charger stopped charging battery, now orange light for battery never turns on when I plug in the charger. I am not sure if the problem is with the adapter/wire or the battery? Can someone please help me solving this problem.
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 5 of 29 (24,127 Views)

Yes if you are getting the light on the side of your Notebook where you plug in your AC adapter you can follow the same steps for using Battery check.

You can also check out this link to see if you qualify for a replacement

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01743281&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Hope this helps

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
aSaluja
Message 6 of 29 (24,055 Views)

hi Bookworm,

thanks for replying, there is no light indicator on the side of my Notebook, but yes it is on the front side of my laptop, but that indicator is not lightning up when I am plugging in AC adapter.

I cheked the link provided by you, my laptop version is not listed in the list, so I am not eligible for battery replacement.

Any idea if I can come to know if this is problem with AC adapter or laptop battery? 

Also can you please elaborate on your first point -

1. With the Battery in and the AC plugged in and the light on click on the start icon and type in "battery" you should see "HP Battery check" come up in the list.

which start Icon and where should I type Battery?

many thanks.

PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 7 of 29 (24,052 Views)

If there is no light where you plug in your AC adapter you may have a faulty AC adapter or an internal power issue,
The battery check will not work unless you have the unit on Charge when you run the test.

But for future refererence in case you get a new AC adapter that works

The Start icon is that Vista icon at the bottom left of your screen, when you click on it a groovy search field opens up, you can type in words and vista will list related apps etc for you to choose from, an excellent Vista addition.

Here is a link to a doc on Battery check, but at this point unless you can get you hands on another AC adapter to try i would call tech support.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821429&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

good luck

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
aSaluja
Message 8 of 29 (24,051 Views)

thanks for quick reply.

I'll get a new adapter and try if that works.

thanks for your help.

Regards.

Top Student
TheKevin408
Message 9 of 29 (23,994 Views)

update:

i ordered a new ac adapter directly from HP and it was able to charge the battery, blue indicator light turns on, etc. then, a couple minutes later, i noticed the blue indicator light was off. i wiggled it around and the blue light turned on depending on the position its in.

PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 10 of 29 (23,981 Views)

The problem may be that the connector in the Notebook has been damaged, if someone or something steps or leans the AC adapter while it's plugged in it can cause the issue you're seeing.
Your call here on what you want to do, you can contact support if you're not sure.

While it is charging you can run the battery check just to be sure about that.

Good luck

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation