Question

Top Student
fmagistro
Message 1 of 13 (303 Views)
Accepted Solution

bluetooth connectivity

[ Edited ]

I recently bought an HP Envy TouchSmart 17t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC.  Foolishly I assumed a laptop with an Intel i7 processor, 16GB of RAM and 2 TB hard drives comes already equiped with bluetooth.  I have spent hours trying to find anything related to bluetooth on the computer and can't find anything.  I even downloaded drivers for bluetooth.  Can you please advise if my computer comes equiped with bluetooth?  I would appreciate your quick response.  Thanks.  By the way, I'm running Windows 8.1.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 2 of 13 (284 Views)

Re: bluetooth connectivity

Acording to your model (SELECT Editon)

There is 4 DIFFERENT bluetooth dirvers:

1.http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-127984-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

2. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-129020-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

3. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-129047-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

4. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-131222-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Top Student
fmagistro
Message 3 of 13 (260 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded the selected drivers.  I still cannot locate anything to do with bluetooth.  I can't see where to turn it on or even if its available on this computer.  E1P13AV is my product number.  5CG423FLYL is my serial number.  My computer is an HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC.  Why can I find no reference to Bluetooth?  The manuals that come with the computer and the user guide I downloaded all cover several models and still make no reference to bluetooth.  Please help.  I'm using Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 4 of 13 (247 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello fmagistro,

Did you solve your bluetooth mystery yet?

If not, hold the Win+X keys simultaneously and select Device Manager from the list.

There should be something listed in the Device Manager about Bluetooth if it has it. Usually its listed inside Network Adapters.

Expand the Network Adpters arrow to view the various network devices installed.

There should be something with Bluetooth in its name. If so, it should also say if its Qualcomm Atheros, Intel, Media Tek or Broadcom.

Let us know what you find.

Top Student
fmagistro
Message 5 of 13 (232 Views)

OK.  I did the Win X thing.  Clicked on Device Manager and expanded Network Adapters.  There is nothing there indicating Bluetooth in any manner or form.  I'm stuck.  I know this machine should have Bluetooth but I'm danged if I can find it.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 6 of 13 (225 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm.  The support page does say Select Models only. Just to be sure, you looked all around in the Device Manager and found nothing about Bluetooth.

Did the store you bought it from advertise it as having Bluetooth? If so, I would contact them about it to see what can be done for warranty.

Otherwise, you're only alternative would be to purchase a Bluetooth dongle at this point.

Top Student
fmagistro
Message 7 of 13 (206 Views)

Just to be sure, Yes, I did look around the Device Manager in the place you suggested and many others.  There was nothing referencing bluetooth.

As for the store I bought it from, I bought it from the HP website.  So apparently it doesn't have bluetooth.  You figure you pay 1500.00 for a laptop and it's going to have something as pedestrian as bluetooth.

The whole reason I was looking for bluetooth was because I wanted to get rid of the dongle I now have to use for the mouse I have.  Replacing it with a much larger dongle is not much of a victory if any victory at all.  

Thanks for your help but I guess I'll stick with what I have and pay much more attention in the future.  FYI, I went back to the information on the website where I built my computer and bluetooth was not even an option.  I guess that's why I figured it was included.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 8 of 13 (198 Views)

[ Edited ]

So it was select editon, I am sure most modern computers are built in with bluetooth, sorry if I don't work for hp though but most computers have bluetooth now, if you need help you may contact hp, 

I heard of this though never tested out:

http://bluetoothinstaller.com/

If the utility says no bluetooth adapter I will try to think of another method.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Top Student
fmagistro
Message 9 of 13 (192 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, I ran the bluetooth installer you recommended and here is the response I got:

"No unconfigured bluetooth devices found. You should uninstall your existing bluetooth driver (stack) and reboot your computer. It is recommended to unplug (or switch off) your bluetooth adapter during uninstall process. If you still get this error, click "Report hardware configuration" bellow and e-mail results to us. This will help us to fix the problem. You may also click "Check for updates" link to see if there is an updated version of Bluetooth Driver Installer available."

You say that all computers come equipped with bluetooth.  I guess I'll wait and see what else you can come up with.

Thanks for your efforts.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 10 of 13 (186 Views)

Not all laptops come with Bluetooth. This is why you need to contact HP support. They can tell you if your model is supposed to come with bluetooth or not. Give them the model number and Product ID#.

USA support: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

Worldwide: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation