Question

Top Student
trippn
Message 1 of 21 (136,160 Views)
Accepted Solution

disable touchpad on laptop

I have a pavilion dv7-6678us laptop. OS Windows 7

I would like to disable the touchpad as i use a mouse. i went to the control panel under mouse and could only find the mouse info. I also tried to disable on the touchpad in the left hand corner. No luck. any suggestions?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 21 (136,158 Views)

Re: disable touchpad on laptop

[ Edited ]

Trippon,

Welcome to the forum!

You are doing it right.  The FIRM double tap in the very upper left corner is the way to turn off / on the TouchPad for one session.

The fact that you cannot find your Synaptics TouchPad settings is a concern.  You should be able to get to the Properties from

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad Settings > (repeat) TouchPad Settings (button)

Try (re)installing the Driver... You need at least V15.3.1.X

Start at

Support and Drivers

• Enter your computer information,
  • Go to Software and Driver Downloads,
  • Select your OS...
  • Go to Category "Keyboards, Mouse, and Input Drivers"
  • Select the Synaptics Driver...

Download and Install the driver into your system...

==================================================

A method that works with "older" drivers, this is a session by session disablement...

Make sure this setting is ON / CHECKED:

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad [ClickPad] Settings >

(repeat) TouchPad Settings (button) > Click-on Tapping >

Click on Spikey Blue Wheel Blue_Spikey_Wheel.PNG

At "TouchPad Disable Zone Settings"

CHECK "Double Tap to Enable / Disable TouchPad"

At "Top Left Action"

CHECK "Switch TouchPad off for one session"

Close

OK

NOTE
that, if is available on your version, you might select to "Switch the TouchPad OFF" -- this is fine, unless something goes awry.  You could get stuck without your USB mouse AND without a means to get back into the setting to switch on the TouchPad.  I do not know whether I would use this setting.

==================================================

Next...
Newer Drivers (V16.x) have the ability to turn off the TouchPad / Click pad with a setting on the main "Settings" page when a USB mouse is being used.  This is a very nice feature.

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad [ClickPad] Settings >

CHECK "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"

If you would like to be notified and see a visual cue of the disablement >

CHECK "Animated tray icon in Taskbar" >

and make sure you have your Taskbar notifications set so you can actually see the Mouse notice.

Synaptics_Switch_TouchPad_Off_with_Mouse.JPG

=====================================================

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

Click on the Kudos Star on the Left as "Thanks for the Help!"

Did this Post solve your problem?  Mark it “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find the “Accept as Solution” box on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
trippn
Message 3 of 21 (136,151 Views)

Dragon Fur.....Yes, I "should" have been able to find the settings, but couldn't. Looked everywhere I know to look including the device manager before i posted. This was a concern for me too.  and didn't know the name of the file. Gettin' old. First learned about personal computers in '78 back in the dinosaur age and have been using them ever since. no good at programming though. just good at using and problem solving.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help! I was able to fix all by downloading the driver.....so joy! joy! joy!    :heart:

Trippn 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 21 (136,146 Views)

[ Edited ]

Trippin,

Smiling.  "Should have" was not a critique.  Others have had the very same issue and it is due to the version of the driver not being updated, or the driver is updated as far the HP website will allow and the desired Touchpad options are just not there.  I am sorry to show our years.  I, too have been around since dirt was new...  Smiles!

Joy, indeed!  You are most welcome.

Have fun and come back often - for help or just to pick up a new idea or two!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Fran128
Message 5 of 21 (129,606 Views)

How do I disable the touchpad permanently?
Student
dbashyal
Message 6 of 21 (128,052 Views)

My company gave me laptop with touchpad disabled, i thought it was broken laptop until i tried your solution. :-)

---
I note down solutions on - Learn Tips & Tricks
Tutor
catwalker
Message 7 of 21 (124,146 Views)

I would also like to know how to disable the touchpad permanently.  I disabled it under the mouse settings on the control panel, and at first it seemed disabled.  But now it is activated again (ie, I can move the pointer using the touchpad), but it no longer appears in the options for the pointer under the mouse settings. 

Something is making my cursor jump around from window to window while I'm typing and it is really annoying.  I think it is the touchpad, and would like to disable it permanently to confirm this.  How can I do that? 

(for instance, I have had to reposition my cursor in this window to complete my message four times.  This is not a viable system).

Catwalker

Student
sz14
Message 8 of 21 (123,144 Views)

hi i have the same problem right now! it was working fine just yesterday when i turned my l\aptop off to go sleep. then when i took it out to my lecture in the morning i turned my laptop on and its not working at all. i tried turning my laptop off a few times and it still didnt work. 

i tried what you have suggested downloaded it and it doesnt to show up when i click on mouse it doesnt say "touchpad settings" at all. 

please help! 

Tutor
catwalker
Message 9 of 21 (122,987 Views)

Solution found that worked for me.   We were working with the wrong driver. 

See this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/touchpad/m-p/1870717#M110448

Top Student
jgrant746
Message 10 of 21 (114,216 Views)

I'm trying to update the driver for the touchpad on my pavilion dv6 so that I can disable the touchpad.  When I get to the driver website, it gets past the level for the dv6 to a more granular level.  How do determine which one applies to my laptop?  Looks like:

HP Pavilion dv6-7134nr Entertainment Notebook PC

HP Pavilion dv6-7135nr Entertainment Notebook PC

There are thousands of choices, well, maybe hundreds.  How do I tell which one is for my notebook?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation