Question

Honor Student
mmalmer
Message 1 of 3 (126 Views)
Accepted Solution

dvd writer

I have a new HP Envy TouchSmart laptop.  I purchased an LG external DVD Writer.  I have connected it to the computer via USB.  It turns on and opens and closes.  The next step in the installation instructions is to find the icon for the Writer.  I have gone to the HP utility and searched for peripherals, but the Writer is not found.  How can I install this?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (119 Views)

Re: dvd writer

[ Edited ]

I happen to have an external DVD drive that I use for my HP mini , my current HP product loan Envy Spectre XT and sometimes in a desktop PC.

All I do is connect the USB connector between the DVD drive and a PC\notebook and use it.

It should be just that simple with any  Windows operating system.

The operating system should react when you plug it in. Open the Windows Explorer first and then plug in the external DVD drive.  You should see the drive appear amongst the list of available removeable media drives . The image shows a Windows 7 OS. If that does not happen you should try another USB cable. Mine was delivered with a cable that has two USB connectors with one being used for additional DVD drive power. If replacing the usb connector does not work or moving it to another port does not help, then contact the vendor who sold you the external DVD writer for a replacement.  

external drive.png

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
mmalmer
Message 3 of 3 (99 Views)

Re: dvd writer

This solved the problem.  Thank you.  I'm having a terrible time with Windows 8.1.  I've used Windows XP Pro since it was released, and I want my menus back.

Thanks, Marcia

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation