Question

Student
publicrelate
Message 1 of 5 (813 Views)

finding my laptop

[ Edited ]

I can't find my laptop.  Some one actually stole it!  Is there a way to locate it (it doesn't have Lojack on it).

slow down, don't every one rush to answer my question all at once!

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 2 of 5 (790 Views)

Re: finding my laptop

Please file a police report then call HP support - 1 800 Hp Invent and we can flag it as a stolen unit

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Student
cltolar
Message 3 of 5 (776 Views)

You are not alone. My laptop was stolen last week as well. Called HP for help & they are useless. If you want to file a police report, you can, but they will need the serial number to search for it. HP will not give you your serial number once you tell them it is stolen. They have no way to verify you are the owner & not the thief. The so-called helpful assistance I received from HP support was "once the police recover the laptop, they can subpoena for the serial number." Uh, dumb!

I hope you at least kept your box that your laptop came in, or the sticker that came on the box. I unfortunately did not, so I am on here to see if anyone knows any other way I can get my serial number.

Good luck!!

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 4 of 5 (757 Views)

I know this has nothing to do with HP or your question but for future references, there is a program called Computrace.  It's like a "Lo Jack" for computers.  The bad news is that it isn't free.  It is put out by a company called Absolute.  Check it out here.

Teacher
Antony_Lee
Message 5 of 5 (743 Views)

Did you registered your warranty ? it suppose to have your serial no on it ?

Also, did you keep your window serial no, may be microsoft can help, but i doubt if they are willing to do so.

(every window need updates ? isn't it ?)

regards,

Antony Lee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation