Question

Tutor
ezondaeye
Message 1 of 9 (8,577 Views)
Accepted Solution

fingerprint reader on dv6 stopped working after installing Norton 2012

Fingerprint reader stopped working after installing Norton Internet Security 2012 on both of my HP notebooks.

Product name: HP Pavilion dv6

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Device Manager error message under Biometric Devices under Device Manager shows an exclamation mark next to Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018). The following message is under General tab: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

Driver is present and appears to be up to date.

Appreciate your help.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 9 (8,575 Views)

Re: fingerprint reader on dv6 stopped working after installing Norton 2012

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Looks like you need to download the driver, and do a clean install for firngerprint sensor.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52664.exe

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
ezondaeye
Message 3 of 9 (8,556 Views)

Hi, thank you for your quick reply.

I downloaded sp52664.exe and uninstalled HP Simplepass 2011 from the Control Panel > Uninstall Programs.

When attempted to install sp52664, I had the following message: "Access denied - newer version of Validity WBFDDK is already installed". I am not sure what you meant by doing a "clean install". At this point, when I looked for the HP SimplePass 2011, it did not exist on my machine.

In order to remove the existing Norton trial version that was packaged with my new HPdv6, I was instructed to run Norton Removal Tool from their website. I think "HP's Validity Sensor" was removed or damaged during this process. It appears that there is a conflict between Norton's Removal Tool and the Biometric Device’s Validity Sensor. I am attaching some of the messages pertaining to this issue.

I decided to "Restore" the computer to a point prior to installing Norton Internet Security 2012, which resolved the SimplePass Fingerprint reader issue. However, I no longer have Norton or any kind of anti-virus on my computer.

Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated.

HP Biometric Devices.JPG

HP Validity Sensors incomplete or damaged Code 19.JPG

HP Validity Sensors WBF PID=0018.JPG

Tutor
ezondaeye
Message 4 of 9 (8,539 Views)

I have finally isolated the problem of my missing HP dv6 FingerPrint Reader software. I believe that Norton Removal Tool, available online at www.symentec.com/nrt, was the reason. I am certain of this conclusion because the same exact problem occurred after I installed Norton Internet Security 2012 on my wife’s identical HP laptop. I tried, unsuccessfully, to uninstall and reinstall the driver for the Biometric FingerPrint device made available by Validity Sensors, Inc.

After spending a day and a half trying to “fix” the problem, I decided to restore my system and go back to the point prior of installing Norton. Thank you HP for making this process quick and painless. Just remember that if you have installed anything after the restore point, it will have to be reinstalled.

Fortunately, there was a less intrusive removal tool on Norton’s CD. This utility uninstalls an older version of Norton, asks you to reboot and then installs the latest NIS. This is a safer removal method than the broad brush offered by the online link from Norton, which wipes everything remotely suspicious.

After reinstalling Norton Internet Security 2012 from the CD, everything is working the way it should, including the FingerPrint Reader.

Top Student
kingharoon77
Message 5 of 9 (7,392 Views)

I have the same problem on my dv6-7090ef bought last week, I restored the system but my device is shown as unknown device. even after dowloading the driver from HP website, it's unable to install the driver for this device. 1000 Euro pc and very first week I am having annoying problem. please help

Top Student
kingharoon77
Message 6 of 9 (7,389 Views)

hard reset did not seem to be an option but it worked just fine
Student
bkm421
Message 7 of 9 (5,905 Views)

Worked doing a system restore. Hope I didn't mess anything else up. And I hope that my pc isn't vulnerable now without the Norton Restore Tool.

Top Student
slicksds
Message 8 of 9 (5,783 Views)

This exact same thing has happened to me with a brand-new HP Envy m6-1125dx right after running the Norton Removal Tool, so I know that is the cause. Has anyone found a fix short of doing the System Rollback or a full restore? I have hours involved in configuring this new computer and would like to find an alternative to bring back the fingerprint reader functionality which was obviously killed with the the Norton Removal Tool.

Student
Unicycle86
Message 9 of 9 (2,909 Views)

Easy Fix!

I just did this with my brand new HP Envy m7.

Issue: When you uninstall the trial version of Norton Internet Security with the symantec website uninstaller, the fingerprint scanner is disabled. (Windows 8)

Fix: Go to the Device Manager (right click My Computer and "Manage"). Find the fingerprint device: It should have an "!" by it. Right click it and uninstall the device. Next go to the HP.com website, find your computer in the list, navigate to the fingerprint scanner driver for your computer, then do a fresh install. Finally, restart the computer. This should take AT A MAXIMUM 15 minutes if you are computer savy. Maybe an hour if you take the time to read all the user/license agreements.

I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation