Question

Tutor
camper-569
Message 1 of 7 (160 Views)

hot power supply

I have a hp 2000-329wm and the power supply gets real hot when its charging whether i am using the computer or not.

I am gonna order a neww soon but thought i would ask and see if anyone else had the same prob.

After it gets done charging the battery it cools off.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 7 (157 Views)

Re: hot power supply

Hot is relative.  Can you put a thermometer on it?  How many watts and amps is your charger rated for?

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Tutor
camper-569
Message 3 of 7 (155 Views)

Its 18.5v, 3.5a, 65w, I have only had it since thanksgiving last yr don't know why it is getting hot.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 4 of 7 (134 Views)

Depending on how hot you are talking about, I would continue to use it until it fails but make sure no flammable materials are near it.  I think you should consider a 90W version in the future.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Tutor
camper-569
Message 5 of 7 (112 Views)

Its not hot enough to burn your finger but its hotter than i think it should be.

Do u know if its warrantied?

Will it void my warranty if i change it and use a bigger one?

It only gets hot when the battery is charging not any other time. Whether i am using it or not.

After it gets done charging it cools off.

I am gonna buy a new for christmas if it lasts that long.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 6 of 7 (86 Views)

It doesn't sound like it is that bad then and will probably last till Xmas.  As far as warrantee goes, I think if you get the unit from HP they can't complain but if you get a third party power adaptor during warrantee, you may have a problem if something goes wrong. 

Tutor
camper-569
Message 7 of 7 (67 Views)

No ibought it at walmarts balck fri last yr.

Who do i ask about if it would void my waranty if i go to a different power supply?

I can't find one that is 90 watts without going to a higher voltage and i know from experience what that can do.

I don't think .5 volts will make a difference but i am not going to chance it yet.

As long as the battery is charged its ok so i guess i won't use the battery untill i get a new power supply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation