Question

Tutor
wjh611
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)

how do I calibrate battery

I have a Pavillion dm4 Notebook PC Windows 7 Home Premium.  Yesterday, I unplugged it from its charger with a 100% charge.  I was down to 10% charge in about 2 hrs 15 mins.  I have read that leaving my computer plugged into the charger will shorten battery life.  Is this true?  What can I do to extend the battery life?

I never heard of calibrating my battery until today.  I just installed HP Battery Check.  It tells me that I need to calibrate my battery, with a message to “Check here to learn how to calibrate your battery.”  When I click “here”, I get a pop-up that says “XM|HPSF has stopped working” and “Windows is checking for a solution to the problem…”  That’s it.  No solution appears.  How do I calibrate my battery?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (103 Views)

Re: how do I calibrate battery

Hi:

This document provides the info on how to calibrate the battery with a W7 operating system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821536&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Leaving your notebook constantly plugged into ac power will shorten the life of the battery.

Please see this document for battery care tips.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00596784&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Personally, if my notebook has been plugged in for nearly two weeks, I just unplug the notebook from the A/C adapter and run the notebook on battery power until I get the notification of low battery power and to connect to ac power.

Tutor
wjh611
Message 3 of 4 (93 Views)

Thanks. I'll follow your tip about unplugging from the charger and I'll read the article. Hopefully, it will lead me through re-calibrating the battery.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (90 Views)

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation