Question

Tutor
airliefez
Message 1 of 8 (281 Views)

how do i delete 'Iminent' from my Local Disk 'C'

Hello all you experts, I really would appreciate any assistance on this matter. I appear to keep getting "Iminent " as my search engine. I have always used Google as my preffered search tool, however recently tried to download a torrent site and ever since that date, this keeps popping up as my search facility, I have uninstalled the torrent site and anything else that attached itself on the exact same date 18th jan, I have restored system to earlier date BUT IT's STILL POPPING UP every flipping time and its getting annoying. please please can anyone help.

I have located it in Local Disk 'C' Program Files (x86) and when I attempt to delete, I get this message. " You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this file.

How please do I do this.

Has anybody else ever come across something like this or maybe the exact same thing.

thanks.

PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 2 of 8 (277 Views)

Re: how do i delete 'Iminent' from my Local Disk 'C'

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Yes, you really need to be administrator (I mean your user account needs administrator rights) and when you get a prompt by Windows User Account Control.

However, in order to remove Iminent you need more than that :smileyhappy:

Iminent is considered adware/potentially unwanted software. Follow the instructions here:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-iminent-toolbar/

to remove this software.

Be smart and learn how to protect yourself ->  www.microsoft.com/protect

Please, let me know if I can help you further and don't hesitate to ask for assistance if you face issues.

*** Please click the white KUDOS star (on the left). This way you show appreciation for advice or help you received.  If your problem has been solved - click the appropriate button and accept the solution. ***

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Technical support engineer - Managed Security Services
Although I am HP employee, I express my personal opinion.
Tutor
airliefez
Message 3 of 8 (251 Views)

Thank You IT_WinSec (Master's Graduate) BUT it didn't work for me. I followed all the instructions on the link you attached, BUT when you click on the Gear icon and select Manage Add Ons, scroll down and click on Iminent the disable and enable boxes DO NOT Highlight to allow you to click them, Can you advise anything further to solve this ,please.

Tutor
airliefez
Message 4 of 8 (215 Views)

thank you for trying to help with my problem. I HAVE REMOVED IMINENT FROM MY COMPUTER SEARCH ENGINE.

HOWEVER........ I still have a silly stupid little iminent emicons type toolbar attached to both my emails and facebook messages and have been unable to remove this from my pc.

One of the solutions was delete the iminent from my local disk C by moving the cursor over the title and then a delete button would highlight and i could just click delete and hey presto. BUT the highlight button doesnt highlight and iminent is still there as is the emicons thingy toolbar on messages and emails, getting very flipping frustrating this now. Any help appreciated

Tutor
airliefez
Message 5 of 8 (214 Views)

Oh and the web address for microsoft/protect doesnt allow me to download the app for searching and fixing any problems with my pc, Any suggestions here, regards

PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 6 of 8 (200 Views)

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in reply.  Please, send me a private message if you still experienice problems and if you still need assistance.
I would like to contact you in person to assist so that we finally get this pest removed.

Info about private messages:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messag...

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Tutor
airliefez
Message 7 of 8 (191 Views)

have tried to send you a private message, but when I click on your ID and open your a/c their isn't any contact details???? appreciate any assistance ... with this pest, I would use a stronger word than pest....
PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 8 of 8 (185 Views)

Hi,

I have received your private message and I have replied to it.  We will exchange some details there.

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation