Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion g6 notebook.  No number pad, no num lock, no scroll lock.  How do I get alt codes?

Tried fn + alt + number.  Didn't work.  Tried what might have been the "number pad" too, M,J,K,L, etc.

That didn't work either.  Help?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use these links (I think link #2 is the one you are looking for):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_code
  http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum!

@Lyn1185 wrote:

I have an HP Pavillion g6 notebook.  No number pad, no num lock, no scroll lock.  How do I get alt codes?

Tried fn + alt + number.  Didn't work.  Tried what might have been the "number pad" too, M,J,K,L, etc.

That didn't work either.  Help?

For Alt codes:

Hold the Alt key down while typing the number of the code. It is as simple as that.  ñ is Alt 163. I use it in Spanish. I use Ctrl+Alt +5 for the Euro sign bacause I live in the Netherlands. €.

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I know to hold down the alt key and type the number.  It works on my desktop.  It does not work on my laptop.

My laptop has no num pad, hence no num lock key and no scroll lock key.  Holding down the fn + alt key and typing

the code number doesn't work either.

HP Recommended

If you're referring to the section that says on laptops Fn is the modifier key I tried that.  It doesn't word.

Hold down fn + alt, type code.....nothing.  Frustrating.  My keyboard doesn't have the alternative "number pad" either.

I think HP needs a wake up call on this one!

HP Recommended

Hi,

@Lyn1185 wrote:

If you're referring to the section that says on laptops Fn is the modifier key I tried that.  It doesn't word.

Hold down fn + alt, type code.....nothing.  Frustrating.  My keyboard doesn't have the alternative "number pad" either.

I think HP needs a wake up call on this one!

Try disabling the action keys in the BIOS. 

Here is a link to the HP document on how to do that. YOu can renable the Action keys by pressing Fn key + F1 through F12 to enable them again without going into BIOS.

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I thank you, Erico, for the information, however I'm afraid it's beyond my limited understanding of Bios, etc.

Thanks for trying to help!  I wish HP didn't have to make things this complicated.  It doesn't seem to be terribly user friendly.

HP Recommended

Erico,

I've tried disabling the action keys, but that has no effect. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem 😕 HP Pavilion g6 laptop, no num lock, no alt codes...

But I found something to use alt codes:

1. Click to START and type: character table

2. Click Character table and look for the character you want to write

3. Click it then copy at the bottom

Examle: ™,†,¿

I hope it helped.

HP Recommended

i know to hold down the ALT key and type the number.it works other desktop.it dose not work my laptop.i want all ALTcode in my laptop plise help.holding down the fn+alt and type the code number does not work either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.