Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

On my HP Notebook, I have found that the easiest way to get alt codes is to press the Start key (The key with the windows logo on it) and type 'Character Map' If you have done this before and you have selected the option to keep recently opened applications Character Map will be on the list and you can simply click on it.  This will open a Character Map Table.  Look for the character you wish to use and click on it, then click the "Copy" option and the map will disappear.  Be sure the cursor is where you want to add your ADCII Character and click the right click button and select paste.  Viola!  that should do it.

@Lyn1185 wrote:

I have an HP Pavillion g6 notebook.  No number pad, no num lock, no scroll lock.  How do I get alt codes?

Tried fn + alt + number.  Didn't work.  Tried what might have been the "number pad" too, M,J,K,L, etc.

That didn't work either.  Help?

HP Recommended

It is rather frustrating and not user friendly to make things that complicated. A keyboard without a number pad is  a mutilated keyboard.

"Working" in the bios is not just typing a text, and is even harder and more complicated on the new "windows10".

For me the easiest way to have the alt-codes is to connect the keyboard of my computer.

I agree that HP need a wake-up call for this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.