how do i restore my pc to factory settings? (31063 Views)
Top Student
StatutoryTrOy
Message 1 of 12 (31,063 Views)

how do i restore my pc to factory settings?

the system restore with my pc doesn't let me restore my computer to factory settings which is something i would like to do considering i have been having a lot of problems lately and my hd is filled with junk 

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 12 (31,059 Views)

Re: how do i restore my pc to factory settings?

To restore a pc to factory settings you need to have the recovery partition on the hard drive or have an image on CD/DVDs(USB Flash drive). Do you have it?

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
StatutoryTrOy
Message 3 of 12 (31,055 Views)

umm i don't know

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 12 (31,033 Views)

A recovery partition is usually on the D: drive cca 12GB. If there is not such a partition so it has been deleted/removed/formatted and you can't restore a pc. You should be able to purchase a recovery cd/dvd from HP..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Top Student
StatutoryTrOy
Message 5 of 12 (31,027 Views)

ok when i accessed my d drive it say warning don't make changes to recovery partition, so how do i reset my computer if it won't let me in that area

Intern
Tech_Smurf
Message 6 of 12 (31,020 Views)

Two ways. 1 Use the recovery manager program located under all programs (vista and Windows 7). Tell it to do a system recovery. It will then reboot your system. When it comes back up you will not be in windows just the recovery manager. Make sure it is pluged in to ac power. Then tell it to do a recovery. 2 From a completely powered off state you can load the recovery manager by taping on the f11 key right after you power it on. This will load just the recovery manager as above and skip windows. If you have any problems post back here with your OS version and any error codes.
Top Student
StatutoryTrOy
Message 7 of 12 (31,009 Views)

so i was just one click away from resetting it and then i remembered that i still need Microsoft word which would be gone i rest my pc to factory settings my dad has a disk that lets you instal word on three different pcs and mine was the last of them, if i rest my pc will i be able to reinstall word, i guess i mean will it recognize my pc as having been one of the three?

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 8 of 12 (30,976 Views)

If you have registered copy of the MS Office(word) you can reinstall the pc and install it again by using the same serial number..

Intern
Tech_Smurf
Message 9 of 12 (30,959 Views)

Use magic jellybean and get the product key for office from the registry. Then you can use it in the trial that is reinstalled as stated above.
Student
Weirddishes
Message 10 of 12 (19,458 Views)

Hey tech_smurf. I restored my hp dv6 to factory settings but my laptop is still the same slow and keep hanging. Sigh. Is there any other options on what to do after restoring and your laptop still kinda sucks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation