Question

Tutor
Picklefeathers
Message 1 of 16 (20,895 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp Pavilion notebook webcam issue

[ Edited ]

I own a hp Pavilion dx6665ca with Vista and all service packs and firmware & bios updates.  For the past few months, whenever I open or close the lid, I get a notification in the toolbar saying 'usb device not recognized'.  It looks like this:

http://imgur.com/0eOrQ.jpg

This was annoying, but nothing seemed to be out of place.  I also have an issue where the left side of the display will sometimes flicker and go almost black, so I thought it might have something to do with that, but it was intermittent.

I recently tried to use the webcam and it was not being detected by software. After checking in the device manager, I realized it was not showing up there under imaging devices, as it should:

http://imgur.com/Z9j86.jpg

I have a feeling that the 'unknown device' under the USB controllers is the camera, but Vista can't figure out what it is.

I have tried new firmware, software, uninstalling and reinstalling all usb devices and drivers, nothing seems to work.  I still get the 'usb device not recognized' message though whenever I open or close the lid.

If the device manager is not detecting it after all of these attempts, am I facing a hardware issue?  My warranty expired 2 months ago, is there any chance hp will repair this issue, as I see so many posts and it seems to be a very widespread hardware problem?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by Picklefeathers on 05-30-2009 10:21 AM
Message Edited by Picklefeathers on 05-30-2009 10:24 AM
Message Edited by Picklefeathers on 05-30-2009 10:25 AM
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 16 (20,873 Views)

Re: hp Pavilion notebook webcam issue

• Did you try using Windows Update and checking the "Available/Optional Updates" link to see if it detects a webcam driver? 
  • Have you tried updating the "unknown device" using Device Manager?
  • Have you tried a hard reset?  Power off the system, then un-plug the AC Adapter and remove the battery and let it sit for a minute or two.
  • Tried updating your system BIOS?  -]Update BIOS Here[-
Honor Student
Trip
Message 3 of 16 (20,853 Views)

I have the EXACT same problem on a pavillion dv6617tx and ofcourse warrenty expired about 4 months ago. Ive tried everything inc system restore, loading up countless numbers of different drivers and also BIOS update. I installed windows 7 and it identified as a HP WEBCAM for about 5 minutes and then it went to UNKNOWN DEVICE. Im sooo pissed off! Im still not certain if its a Hardware or Software problem because it used to work (b4 the warrenty expired ofcourse). Its a very widespread issue and most says its a Vista Thing.
Tutor
Picklefeathers
Message 4 of 16 (20,828 Views)

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.

I have used both windows update and the HP Health Check to look for webcam drivers.  I have the right driver on my desktop, but I can't install the driver because the installer does not detect the webcam.  Without a device showing up in the device manager, I can't install a driver for it.

I have also tried to update the driver for the unknown device, but Vista tells me the driver is up to date for that device.

I have also done the hard reset, as well as keeping all the possible boards and hardware up to date with both bios and firmware updates as well as drivers.

I have exhausted all my options short of taking the thing apart.

I really wish HP would address this issue.  I don't see how I should have to pay for a repair for an issue that seems so widespread, as indicated by Trip's post.

Thanks for the input Kalt.

Tutor
Picklefeathers
Message 5 of 16 (20,749 Views)

Since my last post, I found an HP site where you can download service manuals, and downloaded my own.  I decided to take apart the top of my laptop and check the connections on the camera.  It's actually pretty easy if you are careful.

Both ends of the cable connecting the camera to the board were fine.  I decided to leave it disconnected so I would stop getting those annoying 'USB Device not recognized' popups in my toolbar.

Guess what?  The monitor flicker issue I mentioned in my original post above has completely disappeared!  The computer is working fine again. Something to do with the camera hardware was malfunctioning and causing secondary issues.

Now I wonder if it is a power management problem(I have tried many configurations from Power Saver to High Performance and lots of custom settings in between), a camera problem, or a board problem?  I bet this is a hardware issue that would be expensive to do a recall on.

Just thought I'd share the latest.

Student
drigerott
Message 6 of 16 (20,134 Views)

I have a pavilion dv6-1124el and have the same problem ..... in hardware ids there is USB/UNKNOWN.......why???? 900€ of notebook and webcam doesn't work.....
Student
muncher74
Message 7 of 16 (18,640 Views)

[ Edited ]

Has anyone ever found a fix for this?  I had this problem when I was running Vista (64-bit) but HP Tech Support could not help me.  (We didn't know it was the webcam at the time.)  I simply located the appropriate USB hub in the device manager and disabled it to stop the annoying messages.  The problem cam back when I upgraded to Windows 7 (64-bit) because all my USB connections we reinstated.  Although I didn't know it was a related issue, I sent my Pavilion DV6 back to HP to have the non-functioning webcam fixed.  They replaced a system board and returned it.  Everything was fine for a couple of days - then the annoying "USB device not recognized" message came back and my webcam was off the list of imaging devices in the device manager while "unknown device" was in the list of USB devices (but shown as malfunctioning).  In the first call to Tech Support, I was instructed to remove all the USB devices and restart the computer.  As the computer found the various devices again, no webcam appeared and the unknown device was back.  In a follow-up call to a more experienced support agent, I was told to use HP Support Assistant and Windows Update to ensure that everything was up to date and that should correct the known problem.  It has not and so I've gone back to disabling the 1 USB Root Hub that connects the unknown device (to shut up the computer) and acknowledged that the webcam just won't work for me.

Student
mmcm
Message 8 of 16 (18,102 Views)

I have the same problem and I've been trying to fix it all day. Looks like the best option is to just pretend the webcam doesn't exist and buy a new one.

If anyone finds a solution, please let me know. It would be great to have a laptop that functions as it should.

Honor Student
hardcoder
Message 9 of 16 (18,073 Views)

Hi all,

I also faced this problem today with my  dv5-1198er laptop. I had this problem before and it disappear when I removed the battery from laptop for all night long. But this solution helps only sometimes. So, now my webcam appears as unknown item in device manager. And im deadly sure that this is hardware problem because I also have Ubuntu operating system installed on my laptop and webcam does not work on this system too. Ubuntu operating system can find webcam but when I turn  it on the camera  displays only video noise and the cam light indicator is switched off. 

thanks, im also waiting for any suggestions...

Tutor
Picklefeathers
Message 10 of 16 (18,065 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, I saw some people posted again so I thought I'd add a few things...

SInce my last post I have replaced my Display Inverter twice and my Webcam once. I feel that as a result of these two parts failing, and one of them more than once, that it can be logically deduced that there is a problem with the amount of power being supplied to both devices.  They are powered from the same connector and I would wager that these hardware components are failing as a result of that.  Even now, on my THIRD Inverter Board(original +2) it is still flickering. Short of replacing the machine you can replace these components.

You have two choices: pay to have someone else fix it or do it on your own.  if your idea of a screwdriver is a butterknife, pay someone else.  If you are confident, smart, and willing to learn, you can do it yourself.  You could ruin your machine if you screw up, but I promise you it is not that hard.  For pavilion dx6000 model, look on ebay for the following: 

Camera Module- part # 446486-001. A simple install with the right tools. Don't break the tabs that hold the plastic bezel(frame) around the display or the lid will not shut.

Display Inverter- part # 431391-001. This one is a little tougher to install, but be patient and VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE TAPE.

Here is the link for the manual.  The title is different by model number but the procedure is identical, including part numbers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01178385/c01178385.pdf

For the camera  module replacement, go to page 37.

For the Inverter board replacement, go to page 39.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation