hp g70-120ea dead?? (1306 Views)
Honor Student
nowuckenfurries
Message 1 of 4 (1,306 Views)

hp g70-120ea dead??

My fathers hp g70-120ea laptop, approx 2 years old, won't boot at all, it's dead :smileysad:

It had been returned to shop before Christmas last for same reason, they "fixed" it saying it wouldn't boot due a "build up of static" :confused::eek:

It's now out of warranty & He's asked me to have a look....
I've done the usuals, i.e. unseating the RAM & try booting with 1 & then 2 sticks, no joy.

I've disconnected the cmos battery & reconnected to try to boot, no joy.

I've disconnected the HDD & reconneced to try to boot, no joy.

I've tried booting on mains with battery & then with no battery, no joy.

The psu is is functioning ok, the little LED beside the power jack on the laptop lights up when the jack is connected.

When the power button on the laptop is pressed, nothing happens at all, no fans, no LEDs etc...

Any help in diagnosing the problem would be appreciated as I'v googled the model to see if there were any similar known issues with this model & there are none,.

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 4 (1,287 Views)

Re: hp g70-120ea dead??

nowuckenfurries wrote:

My fathers hp g70-120ea laptop, approx 2 years old, won't boot at all, it's dead :smileysad:

It had been returned to shop before Christmas last for same reason, they "fixed" it saying it wouldn't boot due a "build up of static" :confused::eek:

I've done the usuals, i.e. unseating the RAM & try booting with 1 & then 2 sticks, no joy.

The psu is is functioning ok, the little LED beside the power jack on the laptop lights up when the jack is connected.

When the power button on the laptop is pressed, nothing happens at all, no fans, no LEDs etc...

Any help in diagnosing the problem would be appreciated as I'v googled the model to see if there were any similar known issues with this model & there are none,.

It sounds like you've done everything you could do.  The most likely cause is a failed motherboard.  Have you tried more than one AC adapter?

Honor Student
nowuckenfurries
Message 3 of 4 (1,283 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kalt wrote:

nowuckenfurries wrote:

It sounds like you've done everything you could do.  The most likely cause is a failed motherboard.  Have you tried more than one AC adapter?

Yes I have used 2 different AC adapters to no avail, both light up the LED beside the power jack but the laptop still doesn't start to boot..

Any ideas on price for a new motherboard or where to source one ?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 4 (1,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can use partsurfer.hp.com to locate the part and order it.  It's usually pretty expensive to get the part and is usually cheaper/easier to just send it to HP for repair.  If you want though, you can grab the motherboard's PN from there and then search the internet for a cheaper price...that's what I usually do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation