hp pavilion dv6 notebook shuts down due to overheating. (10841 Views)
Top Student
Robh5200
Message 11 of 24 (4,163 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv6 notebook shuts down due to overheating.

Hi Juggiejugs,

Thanks for your post and comment which is appreciated.

It is quite disappointing that a well established company such as HP pay little heed to supporting customers who have supported their product. I am in business myself and unlike HP we certainly not only value but treasure loyal customer s as we know that they will return their business to us.

I have the machine booked into a recommended tech next week so will keep you posted on what he finds, if anything wrong at all. I certainly suspect that HP has a well known problem with these machines and are loathe to accept responsibility for the same.

Under new consumer lawsintroduced into Australia recently new goods are sold on the understanding of expectation when bought new irrespective of the manufacturers warranty. In other words if a quality laptop has a reasonably expected life of say at least 3 years, the seller/manufacturer is liable for any manufacturing defect or failure dirung this time, despite the manufacturer only offering say a 12 month warranty. Of course only applies to new machines sold after I think July 1st 2012 and within Australia.

Seems like it may be one thing that our politicians may have got right and can be fully implemeted through our Consumer Affairs Assocation. Non compliance by a manufacturer can see Consumer Affairs taking them to court.

Will keep you posted re the tech overview and if he can ascertain what is going on with the overheating.

Cheers

Rob

Top Student
Robh5200
Message 12 of 24 (4,164 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dv6 notebook and it shuts down due to overheating.

Hi Lingoes,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if turning the bios AUTO shut-down CPU-temperatur off is a good thing. My laptop is shutting down at around 103/4 degrees and would literally be heading for a meltdown. The excess heat may not only potentially prove fatal as it can also cook the battery and motherboard along with a host of other internals as well as the case itself.

Sounds expensive to turn the auto shut down off if heat is reaching extreme levels.

Cheers.

Rob

Honor Student
Frustr8dOwner
Message 13 of 24 (4,164 Views)

The Austrailian law seems very resonable. It would be great if more countries protected the consumer to this level. HP is a large company and appreatly, if they lose a few hundred customers, who cares... They've got hundreds of thousands more... My laptop was is also out of warrenty so, calling or contacting them would be a waste of time... My next laptop will NOT be an HP. 

Student
Swompeman
Message 14 of 24 (3,986 Views)

G'day folks,

Bought this model about 15 months ago... started the overheating thing about 3 months in.  Tried to correct the problem using all solutions provided on Internet.  Now it won't stay open for more than a few minutes.  People are calling it a POS... I'll come right out and say it - it's a major PIECE OF CRAP!!  I've purchased HP products all my life... never again.  The experience with this laptop has finally pushed me to convert.  I just bought a MAC Pro and I am never going back to PCs.

GOODBYE HP... I have removed my files from this machine and I will now go outside and play football with it.  I have an axe standing by to finish it off.

Swompeman.

Top Student
Margaven
Message 15 of 24 (3,963 Views)

I too have had this problem. I had four heat shutdowns in two days. By using Resource Monitor I saw it was obvious that a large chunk of CPU capacity was being used by Quick Launch programme HPMSGSVC.exe though I had no applications running at all.  I tried live chat with HP support. Was told to check disk and memory in the start up process (escape on start up to reach that menu) Having done that cannot get back to live chat and though HP have given me a URL to re-enter the process it doesn't work.

However, I have removed Quick Launch from the start up ( click start, type msconfig and press enter, choose startup tab and uncheck the box alongside Quick Launch) and now my temperature problems have disappeared. The machine gets quite warm when i am using it with more than one application running but no more than is usual. I have Intel i5.  My son has an i7 which does give heat problems and is a problem with that processor - not related to this issue.  I am pleased to have apparently solved the probem but HP don't seem to want to know about and have not been very helpful which is disappointing because in all other respects I think it is a great machine.

Hope this may help someone. Worth a try - it worked for me.

Margaven

Top Student
Robh5200
Message 16 of 24 (3,959 Views)

Hi Joanne, It does seem that this particular model of HP being the DV^ is prone to overheating as would appear to be a design fault that HP is well aware of but chooses to ignore.

Not a very good approach for customers.\

They seemto be fine for some time and then the problem starts.

We have just had ours disassembled and cleaned by a computer tech and although it was still quite clean there was a layer of dusk that was not helping cool the machine.

It is working a lot better, however still running hotter than we wish. It is however not now shutting down due to extreme heat.

Our tech also installed a small programme that allows us to activate (switch the fan on earlier) the fan to assist in controlling the heat and this also has helped.

Cost to clean and instal the programme was $70 for about an hours work. There is a lot to disassemble and reassemble and would not recommend anyone doing the same unless you feel confident to dismantle the computer and reassemble.

There are some good instructions on Youtube showing the complex nature of cleaning the machine of dust. Should be enough to deter most.

In summary, have your machine cleaned internally of all dust and have the small programme installed to allow you to contol fan cut in temp etc.

All should be good after this for perhaps at least 6 months or so.

Just one last thing only use your computer on a hard surface free of dust. Table clothes, bedding etc is the worst for attracting dust.

All the best.

Cheers

Robh

Top Student
Margaven
Message 17 of 24 (3,937 Views)

Following some kind person's suggestion I installed CPUID HWMonitor which gives very clear indications of temperature. Although after taking Quick Launch out of the start menu i have had no more themral shutdowns my dv6 was still getting pretty warm when doing little or nothing. I have watched HWMonitor ckosely and have discovered that when the charger is plugged in the voltage goes from just under 12v to 12.7v. At the same time the temperature of CPU steadily climbs from under 50 degrees celsius to 72 degrees. If i then unplug the charger the temperature steadily drops back to under 50 degrees. I have repeated this process six times and every time the same thing happens. I don't have much real technical understanding of these things but there can be little doubt that there is a cause/result relationship here. Is it perhaps that with charger conected giving voltage above 12volts is too much? I would not have supposed that overcharging by 6% woud cause a serious problem but it does appear to be at the root of at least some of the trouble.

Margaven

Student
melissagrzonka
Message 18 of 24 (3,525 Views)

[ Edited ]

My hp laptop with Windows 7 randomly shuts down. I think it is due to overheating. I have tried cleaning it with canned air. I brought it into Best Buy, where it was purchased, and the boy at Geek Squad said they would have to send it out regardless off the issue: software or hardware, because they could not open it there. I am less than ten days passed my one year warranty and I was told there would be a fourteen day grace period where they would still fix it. However, when I brought it in they declined. I re-installed the software and the issue was not resolved. After researching and testing, I do believe it is a fan or battery related matter that is causing overheating. Please help! My next step is buying a cooling pad to place the laptop on. If the problem persists I will need to send it into Hewitt Packard for a diagnosis and to be fixed. If anyone has any other ideas what the issue might be or if you can help explain how to go about sending it back to the manufacturer to be fixed I would greatly appreciate it. Melissa at {Private Information Removed}

Top Student
Margaven
Message 19 of 24 (3,514 Views)

Hello Melissa
Before you spend money on a cooling pad which you should not need and from many accounts do not help much, have a look at the two posts I made in December last year. My troubles turned up after two years of perfect running of my dv6 just after an HP Update which I am still suspicious of, but by doing what i described in my posts the problem has resolved. If you are dong a lot of programming work which is CPU intensive try doing it on battery only because there is no doubt in my mind from my experience that if the charger is on whilst doing CPU intensive things the machine runs about 5 - 8 degrees hotter than when on battery alone. Download a temperature monitoring program for free from the net - and keep an eye on it - it will give you some idea what operations are raising the temperature. And monitor your CPU through Performance Manager. If you are doing nothing and the CPU is very busy something is happening in the background that shouldn't. [Administrative Tools - performance mnitor - resource monitor.]

Hope this may be some help

Margaven 

Student
jimmyjamesjimmy
Message 20 of 24 (3,376 Views)

I had the same problem tried all those suggestion from "i work for HP" none of em worked. Clearly HP know the product has a design fault and they don't care about the customer. I gave up and i wont spend any more hard earned cash on HP products that don't work .
MY ADVICE IS DONT BUY AND IF YOU HAVE CUT YOU LOSSES. I DID I JUST BOUGHT A LENOVO WITH AN EXTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE. NO NOISE. SADLY CANNOT COOK AN EGG ON IT :-)
Jim
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation