insert key (26161 Views)
Honor Student
dineski
Message 1 of 16 (26,161 Views)

insert key

I am using the pavilion dv7.

ok, i found the insert key after staring at the keyboard now how do i activate it?

Student
gpuddington
Message 2 of 16 (26,127 Views)

Re: insert key

You need to hold down the fn key to use the ins function key.  Very unfriendly.

Student
Britt-britt
Message 3 of 16 (25,951 Views)

I can't figure it out either. I tried holding down the fn key and then ins (prt sc) key and nothing changes.  I also tried holding both down while trying to type text and nothing happens. The text just types in normally - does not insert over existing text. Arrgggg!

I've tried ctrl key , then ins, hold both keys, release, type... nothing changes

I've tried alt key, then ins, hold both keys, release, type.... nothing changes

Did you figure it out?

Top Student
200ton
Message 4 of 16 (25,928 Views)

You don't press anything else but the insert key to turn insert on or off. It will work with wordpad, but not with WORD 2003 or 2007, unless you got in to Word Options Advance and turn it on.

Top Student
inertialvoom
Message 5 of 16 (25,494 Views)

I went to the advanced screen and turned on using the insert key on the MS Icon.  i have tried pressing the insert key (which looks like a function as it is over Prt Scr - a key that actually works).  I have tried pushing down the fn and the ins and releasing both at the same time,  The easiest thing is to check overwirte mode, and then uncheck it when needed for other things.  I hate MS Word 2010.  Apparently they do not understand that many documents require overtyping so as not to loose the format.  I am an old guy who has used data cards, and key punch machines.  I think I will stop using MS products completely, as they get hacked all the time, and you really do not have any security on the net.

Top Student
inertialvoom
Message 6 of 16 (25,493 Views)

My reply says that going to advanced does not sofve the problem.  You can turn on overtype in advance options, and that is the only option that seems to work at least with my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC in MS Word 2010.  I would love to get a "insert" key to work, but I do not think my laptop actually has an insert key (with or without, fn, windows, control, alt or esc)

Student
roselover5403
Message 7 of 16 (24,927 Views)

where is the insert key on my hp laptop?  Someone said it is on the right side of the keyboard.  Is it the O on the numbered keys?  How do I turn it off if it is turned on?  Or how do I turn it on?

Top Student
inertialvoom
Message 8 of 16 (24,921 Views)

I now believe the insert key is the same as the 0 key for the numeric key pad, and you need to have num lock on to utilize it.  Also you must go to advanced options in the main ICON to allow the insert key to work.  

Honor Student
Prima_Ballerina
Message 9 of 16 (21,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had this same problem and after looking through all the posts and trying combinations of everything said I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Well, for WORD 2010 at least.(I don't take full credit for this because after all I got a lot of suggestions from other posts.)

So here's how I did it for Word 2010:

1) Open the Word Document and click on the blue tab at the top labeled "File".

2) Then click on "Options" which is second from the bottom on the left-most column.

3) About halfway down on the left column of the box click on the "Advanced" button.

4) Under "Editing Options" check the box next to where it says "Use the Insert key to control overtype mode".

5) Then check the box under that next to where it says "Use overtype mode".

6) Now whenever you want to use the overtype mode so that it deletes as you type you press the [fn] key and the [ins prt sc] button. When you want to turn off the overtype mode you do the same thing and press the [fn] key and the [ins prt sc] key. This saves you from having to go all the way back through the menu every time you want to turn overtype on/off.

My [fn] key is at the very bottom on the left of the space bar next to the [ctrl] key.

My [ins prt sc] key is on the very top row on the right side next to the [pause] and [delete] keys, right about the [backspace] key.

Top Student
inertialvoom
Message 10 of 16 (19,916 Views)

Thank you, it works for me.

Cheers,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation