laptop cord overheating (1723 Views)
Top Student
jennpc
Message 1 of 13 (1,723 Views)
Accepted Solution

laptop cord overheating

I have a HP Pavillion DV6409us.  I have had it for at least 3 years.  The first power cord it came with broke at the bend by plug to the computer, ordered a generic replacement cord - it worked almost a year and broke in the same place.  Ordered the exact  same generic cord in May and it now (after using it for 3 months) overheating where the plug goes into the computer.  It got so hot you could smell it and it put a black line around the plug (even the actual rubber end around the metal was extremely hot - almost soft). 

I decided it must be something with this generic charger so I bit the bullet and spent 100 for new ac adapter and cord from HP.  Got it today - plugged it in and it got burning hot within a couple of minutes.  What is causing this?  Obviously its not the cord.  Laptop was working fine and would now if I could charge the battery.

HP has sent me a couple of letters that batteries being recalled but when I look mine up its not on the list but don't really think its the battery anyway because it gets hot even if the battery is out. 

Hope someone can help me - can't afford a new laptop right now. 

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 13 (1,718 Views)

Re: laptop cord overheating

[ Edited ]

The DC jack on the Laptop is bad most likely, use a flashlight and look in the socket for damage, there will be some or all of the black plastic missing from the center portion of the dc jack.

Top Student
jennpc
Message 3 of 13 (1,713 Views)

Is this a part I can order and fix or is this something I am going to have to send in for a costly repair?

Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 4 of 13 (1,713 Views)

I would call hp that could very well be a fire hazzard or could cause personal injury. That is something hp takes very seriously.

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 13 (1,710 Views)

@KREAMEDCORN

its long out of warranty, HP will charge for any service to that laptop, they will say it needs a motherboard replacement, and that is very expensive, it is by far less expensive to get an independent Laptop repair facility to replace the DC socket.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 13 (1,708 Views)

jennpc wrote:

Is this a part I can order and fix or is this something I am going to have to send in for a costly repair?

It requires special skills to replace the DC jack, it is soldered to the motherboard, and required complete disassembly of the laptop to do it. You would have to find a reputable Laptop repair shop that does a lot of dc jack repairs and guarantees their work.

Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 7 of 13 (1,704 Views)

It might be out of warranty but if that is gettting hot enough to melt then there is definitly a issue that goes beyond an everyday failure. It might be worth your while to give them a call and let them know of the incident. They will tell you that you are out of warranty but inform them of the severe overheating problem then they may have some recourse for you. I would think it should be worth a try anyway.

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Top Student
jennpc
Message 8 of 13 (1,703 Views)

Thank you both for your input.  I will call them and tell them about it and also see if I can find someone to fix it.  It was very dangerous.   My 11 year old daughter was using it and I was gone - she called me and said she could smell the computer and it smelled like something was burning.  I told her to unlplug it - she unplugged from the computer and it burned her.  If she had just plugged it in and left the room it very well could of caused a fire. 

Top Student
jennpc
Message 9 of 13 (1,699 Views)

What number should I call?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 13 (1,696 Views)

[ Edited ]

Stop using the Laptop until it is repaired or replaced. Disconnect the power cord.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation