Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

When I plug in for charging battery then screen goes black? when I set the  power plan at HP reccommended)

But  I set the power plan at high performance then this one is OK.

Please advise me to resolve

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Did you mean to say that it goes black for a second and then returns to normal?

Your notebook sounds like one with switchable graphics.  My HP product loan Envy17-3002ea does that because I have the graphics power options set to automatically switch to the energy saving GPU when on battery.  If you don't want that to happen, just take the tick mark out of the box that say automatically switch. Then it will stay in high powered GPU all of the time, but will always use more battery power when on battery. This is a decision that only you can make.

autoswitch to power saving gpu.jpg

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No reality effect  as per Erico is guiding.

I have to set up the power plan at " High performance" though I like to set it at "HP recommended"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I think you may misunderstand  my issue  here.

Anyway, thanks.

HP Recommended

@DinhICE wrote:

Hi Erico,

I think you may misunderstand  my issue  here.

Anyway, thanks.

Please explain in greater detail so I can understand the issue fully. 

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Hi
Its so simple if your screen turn off for a sec when you plug in or out charging just go to desktop and right click go to graphic properties and will open intel hd graphics page in general settings you will see refresh rate if must 60pHz you do that 40 pHz
Its ok problem solved
Thanks
Attique
HP Recommended
Its for win 10
HP Recommended

OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. This was really helpful. I thought something bigger was going on and was freaked out so thank you so much.

HP Recommended

hi facing the same issue, no avail after changing the refresh rate to 40

any other suggestion,

i own HP8470p

HP Recommended

I bought my laptop about 6 months ago and started to experience this problem about 3 months ago.  At first when the screen went black I thought the screen was faulty.  But then I noticed the following:

If the battery is charged and I still plug in the charger, screen goes dark (I can just about see the images but very dark)

When the battery runs out and I plug in the charger, the screen goes dark until it is fully charged again and I plug out the charger.

So basically, the screen is dark when the charger is plugged in.

I followed the instructions about changing the HD graphics settings and it made not difference.

Help please?  This is so annoying, as I have to wait till the laptop has been charged for 20 mins or so before I can start using it again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.