Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
i just got this laptop, the sound was fine, then my son deleted some programs and now it is stuck on mute.  how to fix? when i click on bottom right of screen it says all is fine, but on my lapop where you can manually push a mute button it is highlighted and won't change.
18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Recovery Manager is useful for all sorts of tasks,from burning your Recovery Disk set to reinstalling individual drivers or even doing a complete reinstall of your Operating System.
Imo,creating your Recovery Disk set is the first and foremost task on a new machine.

http://tinyurl.com/2y4rub

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

You can kill the driver for the sound by going to control panel, System, Hardware, Device manager, Sound (and other devices that may be in sounds). Highlight the sound card and hit delete.

It won't actually delete the sound card, nor will it delete the driver, it deletes it from the list of devices.

Now reboot, and your system should report finding a sound card and instal drivers for it.

Jeff
HP Recommended
Is your model of notebook one that has "quicklaunch buttons" that si the glowing buttons up above the keyboard? Somtimes models that have those buttons can get an error in the driver for that quick-launch strip. That can cause the mute button to activate and not turn off, the volume bar to stop working, and even the wireless to disable and not turn back on. If reinstalled the audio drvier from Recovery manager doesn't fix the problem you may need to reinstall the quicklaunch driver from recovery manager also.
The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
HP Recommended
i'm actually having that problem right now. if you could tell me how to do that step by step it would really be a big help.
HP Recommended

you have not provided any details about your notebook.So i am not too sure about this solution .... anyway , you can try out the following steps : 

Go to www.hp.com

select the support and drivers tab

select the first option "Download drivers and software (and firmware)"

insert your product no. into the p/n field.

this should redirect you to the select your operating system page.

select the proper OS and this'll take you to the driver download page.

now download the audio drivers and reinstall them.

seems to me that there are no mixer devices installed on the system.

-------------------------------
They say a hero'll save us, am not gonna stand here and wait.
HP Recommended

Figured out something that might help others.........

I too had this problem. I'm using an HP Pavilion dv4-1123US running on a Vista 64-bit operating system. I tried everything that everyone suggested, including restoring back to the day I bought it. My problem was intermittent. Sometimes the mute button worked and sometimes it didn't.

What I finally figured out is that sometimes when powering down, I would just "Shut Down" from the Start menu. Other times, I would "Log Off" from the Start menu and then "Shut Down" once the user  was logged off. What I accidently figured out was that when I log off first, the mute touch key works on power up. If I just shut down without first logging off, the mute touch key seems to be stuck on. Seems like a goofy thing, but I've tested it and that seems to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps some others!

HP Recommended

I had same exact stuck mute issue with an HP dv4-1123us notebook right-out-of-the-box and I was going crazy trying to figure out what it was.  It fixed itself after applying audio drivers and some other HP driver for the quicktouch.

What was making me crazy was that I looked at a diagram showing a mute button but I could not find it because it's not a real button it uses some kind of "touch" technology but even when touched it would not enable sound - very frustrating to have issues with a brand new computer.

Jose Morató

Miami, FL

HP Recommended

Because my problem with a stuck mute button on my HP dv4t 1400 is concurrent with a Logon screen suddenly reappearing after not seeing it since I bought the computer-- I really thought Sasaq's solution re: logging off was going to fix it for me.  So thanks, BUT-- it didn't work for me

HP Recommended

I've replaced BIOS, I've replaced QuickLaunch and IDT drivers, I've done a hard reboot.  I removed staco64.dll, which was causing my browser to crash.  I've rolled back my sound driver.  Every diagnostic tells me my sound is working fine-- except for my Quicklaunch mute button, which is RED, and has hijacked my sound. 

HP Tech Support tells me I should go back to Vista.  SERIOUSLY?  I can't use Win 7 on a dv4t?  That's can't be right.  Everything was fine last week! 

Halp!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.