Question

Top Student
braddude87
Message 1 of 7 (8,479 Views)

laptop wont connect to internet

OK, i recently bought a new router and my laptop is connecting to it just fine. The problem is that it wont connect to the internet. I know i have the password right and everything but it just wont tell me why its not connecting to the internet. ive tried using just a CAT-5 cable and it had internet just fine, but its just the wireless that isnt working. I would really appreciate the help. thank you.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 7 (8,476 Views)

Re: laptop wont connect to internet

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at f8 as you start up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now access the internet - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
braddude87
Message 3 of 7 (8,469 Views)

ok im on safe mode and im at the network and sharing center. its telling me that im connected to the unidentified network then it has the bar going to the earth(internet) and it has a red X in between it. Access: Local only and Connection: Wireless Network Connection (!@#$) Signal strength: Excellent.

I just dont get it. oh, and the reason why i made it (!@#$) for saftey reasons. its not the actual router(; now im in normal mode and its the same thing:smileysad:

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 7 (8,465 Views)

Hi,

The next thing to try is uninstalling your security software.  If this is Norton Internet Security using the relevant Norton Removal Tool on the link below - if your security software is a paid for version, make sure you keep a copy of any activation key required and the installer/CD to re-install the application.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

When this has completed, restart the PC.

See if you can now successfully connect to the internet ( keep to only known 'safe sites' while testing if everything works now ).

If you can now connect successfully now, try re-installing your security software ( or if you fancy a change, try downloading and installing the free version of Avast Antivirus. ).

After the installation has completed, restart the PC and check that you can still connect OK.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
braddude87
Message 5 of 7 (8,461 Views)

ok, loaded the norton 360 on my laptop and clicked on access norton account but i dont have internet... so it wont load the page

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 7 (8,455 Views)

Hi,

Do you need to access your norton account to retrieve the activation key?

In the meantime, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Into the prompt, type the following commands, hitting enter after each command.  Include spaces in the commands where shown.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Don't be concerned if some of the commands fail to run, just try the next in the list.

When complete, type exit and hit enter, then restart the notebook and check connectivity.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, another area worth checking is whether there is any problem with the Layered Service Providers on the notebook - although problems with these usually cause no connection at all.  You can do this by downloading LSP-Fix on the link below.  Save this to your Desktop.  This is a stand-alone application so you can just delete it afterwards.

LSP-Fix

When download, right click the application and select 'Run as Administrator'.  If everything is ok with your LSPs you will see green writing stating this.  If it does detect a problem, post back with the error.

Regards,

DP-K

Student
sullivrw2
Message 7 of 7 (4,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having issues with my G46-348NR Notbook.  For some reason I cannot connect to the internet through ethernet or wireless.  I did the IP config and it said Wireless Network 2 has no media.  What does that mean and how do i fix it?  thank you for your time

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation