Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

hi can anyone please tell me what the fault could be with my laptop whenever i try to turn it on i just get the light on the lightning bolt symbol flash 3 times then nothing :HalfEyes: any help would be really appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

sounds like a dead battery

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
HP Recommended

attewell101, did you ever find out what the lightning bolt problem was? I have the same problem. Can't be the battery as the other poster said. It still flashes 3 times when you have it plugged into AC power.

HP Recommended

the lighting bolt flashing 3 times is a dead battery. if it still flashes after you plug it in, check to see if the little white LED near your plug is illuminated. if not then check to see if your ac adapter is plugged in properly. if all that fails try another ac adapter or check your power jack to see if it is loose.

HP Recommended
it could also mean that the memory needs to be re-seated
HP Recommended

Can I just ask attwell101 (or anyone else) is the lightning bolt you refer to the little LED to the right of the 'power on' symbol and in the middle ie to the left of the 'disk' symbol.

I ask because I have had to put a new battery in my dv5 so chose heavy duty one, put it in, charged, discharged 2 or 3 times and then resumed normal use.

Then something happened.

The middle white LED started to flash, about once every second. (it still is and lap working fine)

BUT curser over battery now shows 67% available (plugged in, not charging)

Advice anyone?

HP Recommended

hello there can any one help me... my hp dv5 i replaced power cord, dc jack, battery but still shows me the lightening bolt flash 3 times any thing i can do?? please help..... and wont power on at all but when i put new battery in it powered up but when i turn it off then back on it wont power up again????

HP Recommended

Hey guys/gals!

Welcome to the HP Forums.

Take a look here: Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps

Here's the TL;DR version:

If the battery light LED (which looks like a lightning bolt ) flashes, the battery has insufficient charge to start the computer.

• To resolve this error, try the following solutions.
  • Connect the notebook PC to AC power and attempt to start the computer again.
  • Check the AC adapter to confirm that all of the plugs are securely seated.
  • Determine if the power LED on the AC adapter is lit (if available) to verify that the computer is receiving AC power from the wall outlet.
  • If the computer operates on AC power correctly, charge the battery for thirty minutes to one hour and then restart the computer.

NOTE: Charging the battery for this length of time is called "trickle charging". Trickle charging is a continuous constant-current charge at a low rate, which recharges the battery slowly when it is in a deep discharge state. Deep discharge occurs when a battery is left unused for extended periods of time.

If this does not work, the battery needs to be replaced. If you have already replaced the battery and still experience the issue, there may be an issue with the internal power connector. In this case you will want to contact HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Hopefully this information helps! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Im haveing the same problem with my HP G60-44OM Laptop. It's prettty old, and hasnt been turned on in a WHILE. So, i was able to boot it up 3 days ago with the power 15 sec, plug in, whatever. But i retstarted it yesterday because it has it's task bar all messed up. i dunno why. so, when i was restarting it, it would not go down after 20 Min. so i unplugged it (that was the only source of power to the machine.) and here i am. I think this will work, im going to try it right after the post. Good luck..                http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-g60-200-notebook-pc-series/3914836/model/3979128/document/c01...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.