Question

Honor Student
Lib_B
Message 1 of 4 (372 Views)
Accepted Solution

mini dv to g series laptop - no firewire port or expansion slot - HELP!!!!

I have a Canon Vixia - which when we bought it, the SD cards that did have enough capacity were expensive, so we used mini dv.  now, 5 years later, i need to get this stuff edited and put on dvd before the tapes begin to degrade. 

i have an HP G42t-400 CTO Notebook PC.  My Canon requires a Firewire - my laptop has neither Firewire port or expansion slot.  i have done a lot of research into this topic and there are many conflicting opinions about what i need to do or even that i can't do it, period.  i don't want to invest in something that won't work.

here's what i gather that seems to make the most sense - i need the firewire to go from my canon to something - a port or hub of some sort - that will convert my video into something that is then passed thru the hub to my computer via USB.  i am not a techie.  i need a clear-cut, easy to understand, "buy this, buy that." sort of answer or a "it can't be done."  i prefer to do it myself as i have years of footage to manage.  i should have kept up with it over the years - which was my error.  at any rate, can this be done?  i've been told that a firewire to usb will work and then i've also been told by many people that it won't.  i'm at a loss - please help!

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 4 (353 Views)

Re: mini dv to g series laptop - no firewire port or expansion slot - HELP!!!!

Hello Lib_B.  I understand you need to get some data off of your camcorder but it requires a FireWire port which your notebook lacks.  Is this correct?

I am pretty sure USB and FireWire handle data a little differently.  So, I am not sure if it will be a 100% seemless process.  However, according to the discussion on this page it does seem to be possible.  

This is a unique issue so it is hard for me to recommend a specific product.  There are many available though.  This seems to be the sort of product you would need.  It allows you to connect both FireWire and USB to a single hub which appears to be able to be connected to a computer via either FireWire or USB.  Here is a listing of the available products.  Give it a look and see if any of the hubs appear to better conform to your needs.

I hope this information was helpful Lib_B.  Have a great week!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Honor Student
Lib_B
Message 3 of 4 (349 Views)

Thanks!  I actually found a discontinued Pinnacle Movie Box (or something like that) that is a LOT more expensive than this (probably because it includes a software bundle) that I ordered from an online store.  It sounds as though it is specifically for transferring in the manner I need to.  And, I may be able to use it to transfer some of my kids' old VHS movies to DVD.  I'll give it a go when I get it in a day or two.  If it doesn't work, I'll return it and give this a shot.  Thanks so much for your help!!!

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 4 (345 Views)

[ Edited ]

You are more than welcome Lib_B.  

If you run into any issues trying to get it working or ever need assistance with another problem do not hestitate to pay the forums a visit.  They are truly a great resource.  Also, I wanted to say thank you for marking the post solved.  That will allow other users to find an answer more quickly if they have a simliar problem to yours.

Have a good one! :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation