Question

Student
andilo6
Message 1 of 16 (10,179 Views)

pavilion dm4 - loud fan

i just bought this computer about a week ago and noticed that the fan was unnecessarily loud and i was just wondering if this is normal for this model and if anyone else has had similar problems with the hp laptop. thanks for the help.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 16 (10,157 Views)

Re: pavilion dm4 - loud fan

Can you post your full model number please?

Student
hsilvar
Message 3 of 16 (10,071 Views)

Hi! I have the same problem. The fan appears to be changing the speed every moment.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Mine is DM4-1065x

Teacher
densyo12
Message 4 of 16 (10,062 Views)

update the latest bios and placed the notebook on a hard flat surface.

Honor Student
jb_jacksonriver
Message 5 of 16 (10,017 Views)

I just got the dm4t-1000 custom configured yesterday. the fan has not.stopped.running, even when I am not doing anything and the CPU usage is at a steady 25%. It's really loud. It's driving me nuts. Any tips?

Thanks.

Honor Student
jb_jacksonriver
Message 6 of 16 (10,016 Views)

P.S. It's on a hard, flat surface--a normal desk. It's 67 degrees in here. Normal. 

PhD Student
Knute
Message 7 of 16 (9,989 Views)

Did you buy the computer used or refurbished at all?

Many times a laptop overheating is directly related to the cooling of the processor. The main culprit is the fan. The fan sucks in air from the bottom and blows it out the side. It will also suck in hair, dust, and other debris. That stuff often gets trapped by the heat sink and over time builds up in a layer which chokes off the cool air going to the processor making the fan work harder.

What I recommend is getting some canned air and blowing out the vents in the side and bottom of the laptop. If after doing this you still have problems with over-heating, and your laptop is in warranty, you can take your laptop to a HP Authorized Service Center and ask them to clean the fan and heatsink. You can check your warranty here:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyResults.do?admit=109447627+1286541891570+28353475

If it is out of warranty, consider searching for the maintenance manual for your specific model, in the manual there are schematics for taking apart the laptop. Cleaning the fan is much easier that removing a motherboard, so don't feel to intimidated by the idea. Also you can remove the heatsink and then remove the thermal grease and apply a new layer which also helps alleviate heat related issues.

I hope this helps. If you like my advice and it works for you, please thank me by clicking the Kudos Star under my screen name, thanks!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    Romano
    Message 8 of 16 (9,895 Views)

I bought a brand new customized Pavilion dm4t-1100 two days ago for personal use and the fan has not stop going, even when the computer is standing there doing nothing. It's the same when plugged in and when in battery. I also tried switching to integrated GPU as well as the dedicated ATI GPU; no difference. I know from personal experience that is not normal, as I worked as an IT service professional and got to clean HP and Lenovo laptop fans all day.

I updated the fan drivers to no avail, and checked my BIOS version which said "F17." In the Software & Driver section of the HP website the BIOS version of the driver is "F.17A," is there a difference?

The fan is really annoying and quite loud. I have an Intel i7 2.8Gz, 6GB of RAM, and the 1G Dedicated ATI GPU. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 9 of 16 (9,825 Views)

Have you checked the BIOS for a 'Fan always on while using AC power' option?  Have you checked Task Manager to see if there are any processes running that would cause the machine to use 90%+ of the CPU?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    Romano
    Message 10 of 16 (9,809 Views)

Thank you, I believe that is probably the answer everybody was looking for! press ESC for startup menu, or F12. Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation