Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello, i have this hp pavilion dv2500 special edition (gray and black). i found it at a recycling center with no ram, hard drive or battery and the microphone wires were cut. when i turned it on it just beeped 4 times and had no display show up. I looked it up and all it said was checksum or flashing failed and ect. if you can explain all the others for 4 beeps, thanks. so anyways after looking it up more i saw how it was ram. so i just pulled a stick out of an ibm laptop and put it in, didnt work. then i saw how checksum was cmos, so i replaced the cmos, still 4 beeps and no display. and when i did the windows key and b, it beeped really loud (1 long beep, 2 short beeps). so i left it on for around 3 minutes then shut it off because how annoying it was. then i looked up 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, it said overheat it and it also said graphics problem. i put it in a towel, didnt work and i dont wanna put it in my oven. so im wondering if i have to reball the gpu. but anyways thats all it is. please help me because i wanna fix this laptop because i go to this recycling center around every week and it is rare for a laptop to be there (xD).thanks!                 AND ALSO! i also the the power supply could not be correct i looked up, but the voltage matches exactly.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, @cg1245 

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I understand that you've found a notebook that was missing parts and you're trying to put it back together in a working condition. I will try to assist you on this.

For the beep codes you're getting, this may help with identifying them: Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps

You will probably have to swap in and out various hardware components as well, this is provided that the system board itself wasn't damaged. As you mention cut wires, you may want to look into those. If you really want to get it working, it could be a long process. I wouldn't be surprised from the condition you found it, that you have to replace the majority of the hardware.

Hope the document can help some.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

i looked at it and tried some things but it didnt work and the numlock and capslock are not flashing, and the power light around the plug is solid. i also tried reseting it but that didnt work. and i took the laptop apart to see if anything was broken on the motherboard but it looked fine.

HP Recommended

Hey,

As mentioned in my first post, to get that notebook working could take a lot. Right now you need to find the cause to the beeps.

Do you have good working ram?
Do you have a good working hdd?
Do the power adapter and battery both work?

You'll want those 4 parts to start with, all in working condition (you don't need "new", but working). If any of those were left in the notebook, you'll need a way to test them.

Once you have those 4 parts in working condition installed in the notebook, let me know what the notebook is doing and I'll assess what you can do next from that point.

HP Recommended

okay, i dont have the parts yet but im wondering what the 1 long beep and then 2 short beeps mean, thanks

HP Recommended

Hey,

More then likely an error with the ram. Beeps generally are ram, blinking lights cpu. Of course they both could mean others, just more often then not, that's where the errors are. Start with Ram.

HP Recommended

and also what else does 4 beeps mean? because i cant find anything for flashing failed-and the corrupted image, since i disconnected the monitor will that mean that? just wondering, thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnected monitor? The notebooks display or external? Won't mean anything if you had no video output to begin with. However, you won't have video period, if you do get it working (meaning you may not realize it's working if you forget to reconnect).

Beeping, single multiple. Could mean something or it could mean nothing at all (in terms of codes). Sadly, I don't have some master list to provide you. Beeping essentially something is wrong with the computer, that it doesn't like what it's being told to do.

Flashing failed? Where did you see that message and were you trying to do the flashing?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi,

Seems you've found a document I wasn't aware of, thank you.

Flashing failed (checksum error, corrupted image, etc.), could be a few things. The error really doesn't specify. It could mean a failed BIOS update, it could be the checksum error which is related to the CMOS battery. It could even mean a corrupt image (OS on HD is bad).

Here are some documents: Error: CMOS Checksum Bad

Restoring the BIOS

Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System

I'm not sure if any of those will help, if you still have no display, but it's something if you do have a working display.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.