Re: pavilion dv5 overheats and switches off (1213 Views)
Student
helmcbn
Message 1 of 2 (1,234 Views)

pavilion dv5 overheats and switches off

my pavilion dv5 laptop overheats and will switch off after about 20 mins its really annoying and its been sent back to the manufactures twice but it still doesit.I bought a coolng pad but that doesnt work anyone got any ideas what to do?I am a student so cant afford to repair it as it is out of warantee

Top Student
byt3r
Message 2 of 2 (1,213 Views)

Re: pavilion dv5 overheats and switches off

hi,

the overheat problem is known to me and i would like to state some basic rules to avoid overheating in a typical laptop/notebook:

1. be sure to never block ventilation openings while your notebook is powered on:

a. do not put your notebook on  sofa/bed or on a soft surface, if this is the case then put your notebook to stand on a hard planar surface.

b. check the lowest surface of your notebook has an adequate distance between the hard surface where it stands on (check the rubber whick play the role of your notebook's leg).

c. the planar surface where your notebook stands on must be cleaned of granular materials, becouse they could be sucked into the ventilation system and block or lower the ventilation's system eficiency.

2. if your ventilation system is blocked verify it's so by puting a cigarette near the opening where air is sucked up for a short time.

if you are sure the ventilation system is blocked, try to move the ventilation with a slim object until it starts rotating,

if this method fails then your notebook needs to be disassembled until you can see and manually intervene in your notebook's ventilation system.

if you have disassembled your notebook , clean the metallic sheets with a brush and grease your ventilation's motor axis with good quality grease (DO NOT USE OIL OR COOKING OIL AS IT WILL DRY VERY SOON AND BECOME KIND OF ADHESIVE AND BLOCK IT AGAIN)

DISASSEMBLING YOUR NOTEBOOK IS A STEP TO BE TAKEN ONLY IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED TECHNICIAN IN THIS FIELD, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU TO LET THIS IN HAND OF COMPETENT SERVICES/PERSONS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation