Question

Top Student
thebomb342
Message 1 of 3 (872 Views)
Accepted Solution

pavillion m6 heat issue

i just recently got this laptop and when i do light browsing on the laptop the left side where my palms are gets pretty warm. i wanted to know if this is normal or if its just my laptop, i thought most laptops try to keep that part as cool as possible so just wanted to see if i just get a new m6.

Tutor
wmbill
Message 2 of 3 (837 Views)

Re: pavillion m6 heat issue

I have the m6 1045dx and have the same issue.  The left palm rest gets much warmer than I would expect, especially considering that I have the "HP Coolsense" on.  I know from looking at the service manual that the graphics pricessor is located in that area and I suspect that this is the source of the heat. I've already returned one of these in because the bezel was assembled incorrectly and was squeezing the screen when I would push on the lid, causing it to ripple in the lower corners.  I used that one for a week or so before trading it and never notice this heat issue with it.  Maybe I was just distracted by the defect and wasn't paying attention to the temp...I don't know.  I do know that this machine also has build issues. The seam around the front edge where the metal meets the plastic sides has a noticable gap on one side, the plasitc edge bows out somewhat between the screws on the front, and the and the both corners don't fit correctly. Overall the external build quality of this machine has me concerned about the internal assembilies.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put a thermal pad or grease on the graphics processor's heatsink.  I really think HP should hire a better class of sweat shop to manufacture there machines!  A couple of years ago, I went through 3 DM4 models before I found one that didn't have any blatant defects.  I really like HP's designs, but their quality control, especially with any of their metal models stinks!  I'll probably take this one back for a refund this time and buy something else.  I guess I'm giving up on HP. 

Top Student
thebomb342
Message 3 of 3 (820 Views)

Re: pavillion m6 heat issue

Yup the heat issue is on all the m6 laptops, I noticed the heat when I used the one best buy had on display. The thing I do really like this laptop and I'm not really sure if I do give it back what should I get, what are you planning on getting?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation