Question

Honor Student
sony467
Message 1 of 9 (11,263 Views)

plugged in, not charging

Hi, I have a dv7-3111ea notebook and i get this message "plugged in, not charging" i replaced my battery with a new one but still says "plugged in, not charging" most of the time? 

ps does a new battery have to be calibrated? because i brought a new hp battery and when tested the battery with hp battery tester in the boot menu, the battery test failed and the when i tryed to do it again, it started to caliberate. why did that happen when it's a new battery???

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (11,213 Views)

Re: plugged in, not charging

No, a new battery does not need calibrating.

If you leave the laptop turned off but plugged in overnight, does it charge the battery to full?

Honor Student
sony467
Message 3 of 9 (11,204 Views)

the plugged in, not charging message comes up sometimes, not all the time, but i wanted to know why would that message comeup somtimes even when the battery is new? 

and second question is why is it that when i run a battery test on my new battery i got a message saying i have to calibarate the batterry to complete the test.

in other words the battery test failed before the caliberation and passed after the caliberation.

3rd question is my battery is a new geniune hp battery and it doesnt last mnore than an hour why is that?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 9 (11,162 Views)

1. Not sure why this happens, if it persists or causes problems there is something you can try to resolve it.

2. Calibration is part of the test, so it is required to calibrate it to run the full test.

3. See the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01297640&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Tutor
brandnewbattery
Message 5 of 9 (10,906 Views)

1. Disconnect AC
  2. Shutdown
  3. Remove battery
  4. Connect AC
  5. Startup
  6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).
  7. Shutdown
  8. Disconnect AC
  9. Insert battery
  10. Connect AC
  11. Startup

This is the best solution for your hp Pavilion DV7 Battery

Student
captainpanik96
Message 6 of 9 (10,605 Views)

Hi i have windows vista and my battery icon says plugged in, not charging. what i have to do??? can anyone help me? i am desperate!

Student
AmitSharma
Message 7 of 9 (10,351 Views)

A new battery can show that error, as it depends on lots of factors. Plus I would recommend you to practice safe charging tips and tricks.

Get the most out of one cycle, charge it fully, then use it, till it drains completely and so on.
It can be because of battery over-heating too. Once you plugged in to A/C power, normal battery(at normal temperature) will charge without any problem.

But, over-heated battery will refuse to charge, as the temperature rises, the battery sensor misfires, telling the system that the battery is either fully charged or missing completely, causing the charging problems. So remove the battery and keep it aside, wait till it get back to its normal working temperature. At-least, wait for half an hour. Insert the battery and check whether it’s working or not. Plus try these steps once to get over this problem
http://www.pcmastero.com/2012/05/plugged-in-not-charging-laptop-battery-solution-windows-7.html

Hope that helps. 

Always charge battery when you are not working on your laptop, as charging while working means more heat, which leads to such problem. 

Student
ashu_9
Message 8 of 9 (10,112 Views)

Hi,

I have hp G42 notebook....its 1 and a half years old...from the last one month sometimes i get the message that 'plugged in not charging".....its not specific....sometimes it comes at 40% of battery remaining....sometimes in 60's or 70's......i ahve updated the BIOS as well....but i got that message stil...tell me what should i do?is the MOBO fine?

Student
richiflex
Message 9 of 9 (8,861 Views)

the reson why it says plugged in not charging is because the battry is hot you can etheir take out tha battry and wait ontill it cools off or u turn off ur laptop and let it charge

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation