Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

apps was removed while refreshing PC. How do I retrieve and enable apps  back to PC?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi Pops,

I am sorry that happened to you  :indifferent:  -- it is actually the way the strandard Refresh program is written.

The short answer:  You have to reinstall everything that is missing from your backups.

The list of missing apps should be in a file located on your Desktop:  Removed Apps.html

How you get them back depends on what they are, where they came from, and what is needed to resintall them.

About the standard Refresh procedure:

Refresh your Windows 8 system from a Recovery DriveOEM Recovery

You might like to read about how to use File History (backup and restore features) and how to create a Custom Refresh Image that will have more of what you need when you next perform a Refresh on Windows 8.  Those subjects are included in the document link shown below.  This may well be a case of "too little, too late" for this time, but you might find the information helpful later.

When SkyDrive opens, look for and open the file named:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

I hope this helps.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

apps was removed when refreshing my pc

HP Recommended

Aletta,

As you may now realize, if you read the information in the previous post, the removal of user installed apps is normal behavior.

You can somewhat better protect yourself by creating (and using) a Custom Refresh Image that at least contains your installed programs.

Custom Refresh is discussed here: 

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

What do i do to  return apps removed?

HP Recommended

Rozlyn,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

You do need to reinstall whatever is missing.

The Standard Refresh does not save any of the programs that you downloaded and installed prior to the Refresh.

In the case of actual "APPS" from the Windows Store,

the following may help you determine which apps had been installed before the Refresh was applied:

Windows key > Select the Windows Store Tile >

When the "Store" opens >>

Right-Click on a clear portion of the Windows Store screen >

Select "Your Apps" > Select your Account name from any list shown >

Select an App to resinstall

If that does not work, then you can Select "All Apps" and check the list of "purchased" apps.

=====================================================================================

Programs that were installed and not considered an "App" will need to be installed from the original source.  For example, if you installed a game prior to the Refresh, you will need to reinstall that program from your downloaded packages or perhaps go back to the vendor site and download the program from there.

Future Reference:

Custom Refresh Image Option

• The nice thing about a Custom Image is that it is “customized” to your installed programs.  Most of us tweak and change our computers after we set them up the first time; one of the main changes many of us make is to add our favorite programs.  The Custom Refresh Image allows you to keep those programs when you decide to use the Refresh option on your Windows 8 Computer.
  • Pay attention to the list of files and folders that will be saved in the Custom Image backup.  You must manually (and separately) back up anything not in the list.  The list of included files and folders appears about halfway down the “How-to” Guide.

Create Custom Refresh Image

• Create a folder for the image in the main disk. 

Example Folders:

C:\CustomRefreshImages

C:\Dragon_Feb2014_Refresh_Image

• Open command prompt window > run as administrator

Example commands:

recimg /createimage c:\CustomRefreshImages

recimg /createimage c:\Dragon_Feb2014_Refresh_Image

• Reminder:  You will create Image file on the C disk.  You can then copy the file elsewhere for safekeeping.

Reference:

Custom Refresh -- How to reinstall Windows 8 without losing your files and programs

Installing / Recovery using Custom Refresh Image:

Restore your PC from the custom baseline image using Refresh

Tip: You can manually get to the WinRE (Windows Recovery) startup options by using Shift+Left Click (tap) on the shutdown icon

===========================================================================================

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You”.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

please help me to reinstall my apps please.

HP Recommended

HOW TO REINSTALL MY PRINTER APP THAT WAS REMOVED WHEN I REFRESHED

HP Recommended

My Chrome with all my info was removed while refreshing PC.  How to I retrieve and enable it back to PC?  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I installed windows 10 today and a LOT of programs were removed while refreshing my PC. PLEASE FIX 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.