Question

Student
SarahWIghtman
Message 1 of 3 (1,374 Views)

scam hp support call

I have received several calls purporting to be HP support , and it appears that on the second call they said "there was a problem with my computer" and "could I logon whilst on the phone to them to help solve the problem"

No explicit access was granted, but after this the HP Support utilities started not working correctly, and following this my hotmail and ebay accoutns have been compromised.

Have seen info on scams from a company called ISIS, and this seems similar.

My computer has Norton 360 protection, but I suspect this was an explicit compromise of the HP tools and the information held about me by HP, as they referred to both me and my daughter by name and had our home phone number.

This then subsequently also happened to my mother after registering a new HP computer, but fortunately she just put the phone down and took no action.

Please provide help and advice

Sarah Wightman

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (1,361 Views)

Re: scam hp support call

1. HP would never call you unless you called first and they said they would call back.

2. Your names and phone numbers can be found on the internet by anyone that wants to know

3. Your PC pc Infected

4. Norton AV software is one of the easiest to bypass by the bad guys, once you get the PC disinfected, I would uninstall Norton and install Microsoft Security Essentials, its Free and much better.

Go to this page and make a AV boot scanner CD on a PC that is NOT Infected, boot from the CD and run a full scan, remove everything it finds. Choose the bit version that matched the PC you are going to scan.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

Student
kcvet
Message 3 of 3 (722 Views)

Re: scam hp support call

I got one today. an HP poser wanting to take control of my PC to remove sypware and other stuff. I have caller ID and his number was blocked. bye bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation