Question

Student
chewy22
Message 1 of 3 (512 Views)

stopped Charging

Hi,

my laptop is around a year old. gradually over time it has become harder to get it to charge. at first i would just have to wiggle the charger around a little to get the blue light to come on to indicate it was charging. then i had to tape it in to place as if it moved slightly from a certain position it would stop charging.

now it wont charge at all and the battery has completely ran out of charge, so i cant run a battery check, like suggested with some other peoples battery problems.

is there anything else i can do, has this happened to anyone else before and what do you suggest???

any help would be greatly apprieciated.

thank you

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 3 (484 Views)

Re: stopped Charging

chewy22 wrote:

Hi,

my laptop is around a year old. gradually over time it has become harder to get it to charge. at first i would just have to wiggle the charger around a little to get the blue light to come on to indicate it was charging. then i had to tape it in to place as if it moved slightly from a certain position it would stop charging.

now it wont charge at all and the battery has completely ran out of charge, so i cant run a battery check, like suggested with some other peoples battery problems.

is there anything else i can do, has this happened to anyone else before and what do you suggest???

any help would be greatly apprieciated.

thank you

You'll need to purchase a new AC Adapter (charger) in order to get the notebook to power on/charge the battery. 

Honor Student
Jribb
Message 3 of 3 (472 Views)

Re: stopped Charging

Hi, like suggested earlier you may need to buy a new AC adapter. There is one other possible cause that I am familiar with. It could be the DC power jack inside the computer has broken away from the circuitboard. All it takes is a crack that is barely visible to the naked eye. It can happen if you continually put stress on the plug at the computer or if it gets jerked like someone tripping over the cord. To find out if it's the AC adapter use a volt meter in the DC volt setting to test for power. If you have power then its pretty much guaranteed to be the jack.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation