Question

Honor Student
tyme2rit
Message 1 of 5 (848 Views)

system will not defrag

In the defrag mode, there are 4 defragmentable areas indicated: my C drive, D drive, and E drive defrag properly, but the "system "  will not defragment. Was 5%, then 6%, and is now 7% fragmented. What's going on? Anyone else have this proplem? What's the solution?

tyme2rit

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 5 (831 Views)

Re: system will not defrag

The "system" partition is hidden, how are you able to run defrag on it?

Honor Student
tyme2rit
Message 3 of 5 (807 Views)

With my Windows 7 system, after entering defrag, I am given a window containing 4 possible disks to defrag:

C:

Recovery (D:smileyhappy:

HP_TOOL(E:smileyhappy: and

SYSTEM

It is this "system" disk that does not defrag when selected for such. I am baffled. Help?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 5 (800 Views)

Not sure what is wrong, I have never defragged mine and it shows 0% fragmentation.

Byl Top Student
Top Student
Byl
Message 5 of 5 (673 Views)

The built-in defragmenter will not defrag system files because they are in use while windows is running.

The partition keeps getting more fragmented because as the system is used, it saves Volume Shadow Copies from which to restore. These fragment (like most files do in windows and other OS's as well) so you get more fragmentation.

To defrag the system files, you need to use a third party program that will do a "Boot Time" defrag. But be careful that you get a good third party program as I have seen where computers keep re-starting after an attempted boot time defrag gone bad.

Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best third party defrag programs available:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

The top placers will all safely defrag the system files. Check out the review for all the details (you can get more info on each of the programs tested by clicking on its image and find out what its cost is, features and why it placed where it did.

Most of the top placers offer free trials so you can try them out at no charge before you buy them.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation