Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have looked eveywhere to find out what happens when the computer activates the display to turn off.  I would like to let programs run for many many hours yet would like the display to be turned off so that the screen is not sitting idle.  Will the programs function normally while the display is turned off?

Thanks,

ogbigsmith

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I think the best idea would be to edit your power option plan settings. I'll describe how to do this in Windows 7:

Go to Start, click Control Panel

In the Control Panel search box, type "power"

Click on Power Options

In the list on the left-hand side, click "Choose when to turn off the display"

On this screen you can adjust when the display turns off and adjust when the computer sleeps. So, for instance, you could set the display to turn off after 5 minutes, and adjust the computer sleep setting to go off after 4 hours. That way the display will turn off but the computer will stay awake. The programs will function normally as long as the computer does not go to sleep or turn off. Make sure the notebook is plugged in if you plan to leave it for hours and hours--it will turn off if the battery runs out.

If these instructions don't apply to your computer or operating system please post back with more details.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.