Question

Student
bluehen
Message 1 of 6 (5,385 Views)

user profile service failed. user profile cannot be loaded. how do i fix this

When using the fingerprint reader on my pc I keep getting a message that my user profile service failed logon. User profile cannot be loaded.  I don't remember my password, so I am unable to get into the computer at all. Is there a quick fix that I can do as to not lose any filesor drives?

Tutor
Raj-D-PsYcHo
Message 2 of 6 (5,382 Views)

Re: user profile service failed. user profile cannot be loaded. how do i fix this

1.Shut Down the Laptop

2.Turn on the computer while tapping F8 on the Top row of your Keybaord.

3.You will get Windows Advanaced Boot Options

4.Select Safe Mode and Networking

5.Let all the Drivers Load and then use your Finger Print to Log in.

6.Once you Login Follow these steps Very Carefully.

This is the Original Document for Microsoft Support Website

Method 1: Fix the User Account Profile

<script type="text/javascript"></script>
To do this, follow the steps below:

ImportantThis section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
  1. Click Start
    Collapse this imageExpand this image
  2. In Start Search (Windows Vista) or Search programs and files (Windows 7) area, type in regedit, and press Enter.
  3. If prompted by UAC, click Continue (Windows Vista) or Yes(Windows 7).
  4. In Registry Editor, go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  5. In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. then click each folder and locate ProfileImagePath from the right pane, double click to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.
    • If you have two folders starting with S-1-5 followed by same long nubmers and one of them ended with .bak. Change the .bak folder to normal one. To do this, follow the steps below:
      1. Right click the folder without .bak and choose Rename. Then add .ba at the end of the folder name.
      2. Right click the folder with .bak and choose Rename. Then remove .bak at the end of the folder name.
      3. Right click the folder with .ba and choose Rename. Then change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name.
    • If you have only one folder starting with S-1-5 followed by a long numbers and ended with .bak. Right click the folder and choose Rename. Then remove .bak at the end of the folder name.
  6. Choose the folder without .bak, in the right pane, double click RefCount and type 0 and then click OK.
  7. Choose the folder without .bak, in the right pane, double click State and type 0 and then click OK.
  8. Close Registry Editor.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Log on again with your account.

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account

<script type="text/javascript"></script> reate a new account and copy the data from the old account to the new account. For information about how to do this, visit one of the following Microsoft websites:

Windows 7

Windows Vista

Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile

<script type="text/javascript"></script>
To delete the error SID and create a new profile, follow the steps below:

1. Delete the error SID.
    To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you would rather fix it yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me<script type="text/javascript"></script> To fix this problem automatically , click the Fix this problem link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.
    Fix this problem
    Microsoft Fix it 50446

Note This wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.

Note If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
    Let me fix it myself

<script type="text/javascript"></script> ImportantThis section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem yourself, follow these steps:
    1. Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
      2. Click Change settings.
      3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advancedtab.
      4. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
      5. In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.
    2. Click Start
      the Start button
      , type regedit in the Start searchbox, and then press ENTER.
    3. Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    4. Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
  2. Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

If the Problem resolves please Click Kudos and Mark it as solved
Regard's
Raj.Trivedi
Student
ssreddy
Message 3 of 6 (5,016 Views)

Re: user profile service failed. user profile cannot be loaded. how do i fix this

I am using Windows 8 in my laptop. I tried to login and i know password, but if i try to login it says 'The user Profile Service service fail the sign-in'. How can i fix it..

Honor Student
SunBaghdad
Message 4 of 6 (4,906 Views)

I have the same problem , please help us !!!
And f8 doesn't work at all !
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 5 of 6 (4,821 Views)

@SunBaghdad,

What is the exact model of the notebook?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

Is this using Windows 8, 7, or Vista?

What is the exact nature of how F8 didn't work?  Did the Advanced Boot Menu not load?  Did safe mode with networking not load?

Attempting to log in should at the very least load a temporary profile alloing Method 1 of Raj-D-PsYcHo's post to work.  Do you get any errors at all when attempting method 1?  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 6 (4,817 Views)

SunBaghdad,

I saw your other post and noticed you mentioned Windows 8 there.

The F8 menu isn't present in F8 in the familiar form as it has been hidden to bring other options of Windows 8 to the surface.  F8 isn't really a part of the solution from Microsoft and it was more of an information gathering technique that a different user suggested, so ignore it for now.  None of microsoft's document seem to reference F8 in resolving this issue.

Windows 8 should be letting a temporary account sign in, so the rest of the document should work once you are inside Windows.  RegEdit can be accessed in Windows 8 by searching for RegEdit from the start screen.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation