Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Also, as I am running W8, I can't seem to be the Administrator to run the sfc command, even though i am logged in as the administrator!

HP Recommended

This is obviously a widespead issue with the webcam. Mine hasn't worked since the day the day it was given as a gift. All they do when you contact them is do the exact same thing I have already done via the info from the website and feed you a line of crap, send you a box to send them my $500 computer with no way of knowing if I will ever get it back and in the mean time I can't work because I work from home on my pc and my daughter is going to online school. I am very disappointed in HP this is my 5th and last HP computer.

HP Recommended

HP notebooks are notorious for their webcams not working. Typically, the problem is a short wire issue, literally..as in the wire that connects to the webcam gets pulled out of it's socket through wear and tear (opening and closing the monitor)..it could easily disconnect the first time it's opened and closed, I know mine did. Solutions?

-Take it to a store to get repaired and make sure to let them know what you think the problem might be so they can look there first.

-Open it up yourself if you're comfortable with working on electronics. The diagram can easily be found on the hp website.

-I know it's very undesirable to get a usb webcam since you have a sleek preinstalled one, but if you exhausted all your options short of getting a new laptop you might as well stop by your favorite electronics store or purchase one online.

Hope this helps, also I had the same issue so I know how frustrating it is.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

This is absolutely brilliant! I stumbled in here desperately seeking to activate my webcam after Windows 7 had been completely reinstalled on my Asus G73 SW because I switched to an SSD for my OS and frankly speaking I was not expecting too much especially since this is an HP forum, but, you never know, right? I had already been looking at other sites, decided to give this a try and, believe it or not: it works perfectly! 

A really big thanks to petrove! And, actually, it also works if you only wait 20 minutes or so...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and want to try your method Petrove.

The problem is I have an Asus zenbook UX32a and I cannot remove the battery.

Should I do a factory reset (press F9 after reboot) instead? Or what is the way to do it?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your time, but between the lack of spelling and the lack of specifics and context, it is impossible to tell what you're talking about.

Which suggestion?

What balk?

Type cmd where?

What suggestion?

Right-click what?

What command?

What does all of that have to do with webcams?

Best,

Blake

HP Recommended

@petrove

You sir just made my day. I actually registered to this board just to say thank you!

I tried almost everything and nothing worked. Wasted two days and completely forgot about system file checker.

Followed the steps you provided and now the webcam is working again.

So, BIG thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.