Question

Top Student
a_nayan
Message 1 of 11 (15,546 Views)

webcam not detected

HP MediaSmart Webcam (version 4.2.3303) suddenly stopped detecting webcam.It shows Warning : No webcam detected....

I have Windows 7 installed on HP Pavilion dm4-1006TU. 

PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 2 of 11 (15,543 Views)

Re: webcam not detected

did you connect any capture device externally (USB or Blutooth etc), may be unknowingly .

try change the video capture device and select webcam from drop down list under settiings.

if this does not help, you may need to install the latest version of application from hp.com.

Uninstall from Your system current Mediasmart Webcam version.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7
Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Download and install latest version from HP.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
Dean
Vidya
Message 3 of 11 (15,539 Views)

If the suggestions of Waseem did not work, try the troubleshooting steps in the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02452221&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
a_nayan
Message 4 of 11 (15,535 Views)

I went through the document and came up with following results:

1)Webcam neither works with pre-installed program nor with any third party messanger.

2)I have tried downloading and installing latest version of HP MediaSmart.

4)I also tried YouCam.

5)I don't remember exactly when webcam stopped working. Last month I took my laptop to HP service centre where they restored it to factory settings and installed latest softwares but webcam is still not working.

6)Since webcam stopped working, option of 'Imaging Devices' disappeared from Device manager list. (I should have mentioned it earlier)

7)when I start MediaSmart I 'settings' option is unavailable. So I can't change in that also.

Please suggest any other possible solution.

Thanks in advance.

Dean
Vidya
Message 5 of 11 (15,533 Views)

Some customers tried other troubleshooting steps and got the issue resolved. Please try to read the suggestions from various customers in the following thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/webcam-not-detected/td-p/194748

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 6 of 11 (15,533 Views)

if the camera disappeared from Device manager - it must be a hardware issue, please go for service on this and service team may need to replace the webcam.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
Top Student
r2d20758
Message 7 of 11 (14,766 Views)

Hi I tried for days with no luck but tried a suggestion from someone. I run windoze 7 but this firmware update is actually for Vista. Tried several patches from HP with no luck so I tried this and it friggin worked!!! Go to this website and download this patch SP34746  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-47244-1 This is HPs website my camera now works!!!  

Top Student
a_nayan
Message 8 of 11 (13,503 Views)

It didn't work for me. Looks like a hardware malfunction.

Student
vishalbanga
Message 9 of 11 (12,173 Views)

Hi,

My webcam and bluetooth device both were not detected and I tried removing my laptop's battery and then kept the power key pressed for at least 10 seconds and now the issue is resolved. Both the devices are visible and working fine now.

The issue here was due the STATIC charge on the laptop which somehow interferes with the functioning of the internal devices.

Thanks.

Student
swordno1
Message 10 of 11 (7,658 Views)

Hi! After trying numerous things I found a fix, which should solve the "Webcam not Detected problem"

• Remove the two rubber coverings at the bottom corners of the screen
  • Unscrew the two screws
  • Gently peel back the plastic rim of the screen (it will unclip best near where you took the screws out)
  • Make sure you do not peel back the bottom half of the rim as it is attached to the laptop chassis
  • After that, there are two more screws inside the rim near the top left and right corners
  • You should now see the webcam
  • Push the small white plug that is on the right hand side of the webcam into place that has small wires going into it

The white plug seemed firmly ok on mine, but after I pushed it in more, and fiddled around with it, the imaging devices list appeared in device manager and the Webcam worked when I restarted the laptop.

I put this down to loose connection

Best of luck, hope this helps! :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation