Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased this laptop and was told by the salesperson that the webcam is built into the screen. I have tried everything to get it to come on and keep getting an error message that no webcam is connected. What am I doing wrong? I even tried finding the HP MediaSmart but have had no luck. Please, can someone guide me through this???? Thanks!!!!

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

Try to type "Device Manager" in search box of the start menu and Open Device Manager, check under  Imaging devices if your webcam is listed and detected.

Usually the HP shipped program for webcam would be either HP mediasmart or Cyberlink youcam. Try to check in either of the programs depending on what you have and let us know what error message you get in the program.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem but I cannot get MEDIA SMART on my laptop either.  My model number is XG635UA#ABA.  There is nothing in Device Manager for the WEBCAM and when I bring up Cyberlink You cam, it does not find the device either.  Where can I get the drivers?

HP Recommended

The drivers for webcam are USB Generic drivers provided by the OS. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

@ surfinmars55 - CQ56-109WM is not equipped with Webcam... Here is link to product Spec... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02481139

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

I had the same issues only to discover (after speaking w/ an HP tech) that the CQ56 has the capacity to ADD the webcam, and that this particular model does not come with it. It is an accessories item. I was told that if I sent my laptop to the factory, they can install one, or just go and buy a portable webcam at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.. Wal-Mart carries them for about $40.00, and it is compatible for this laptop. Hope this answered your question. Good luck.

HP Recommended

[text removed]Most of all computers are capable of a webcam hook up but do not

advertise their product as having a webcam unlike the HP CQ56...

HP Recommended

goto ur start and click,type in device manager click,goto imaging devices click,goto HP webcam 101 click ,to make sure

ur webcam is there and working then if it is close it and hit start again and type in "YOU CAM" and click you cam at the top of ur page you should get a registration page for you cam 3 register urself and ur web cam will automatically come on

The HP forum tells you to goto "cyberlink you cam" but that is incorrect there is no such thing on these pc's these pc's are made from cyberlinkl and they like the sound of there own name but if you my instructions you should have no problems

hope it helps

HP Recommended

I have the same computer and it has a webcam if you have any further problems call 1-866-234-1377

HP Recommended

Just  purchased    laptop  cq56 presario  cant find  web cam 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.